Here in Illinois

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Dak2763

New Member
Hello everyone, I'm a 50 year old modeler from North Dakota now living in Illinois who has been into all ends of the modeling world from 1/25 model kits to even making 1/12 and 1/10 R/C Cars making chassis (carbon fiber) (aluminum work) so .....on. as a kid I had a train set or two, but that was 40 or more years ago.

So at this time I am looking to get into HO scale trains, I have a 30' X 45' family room to build in, now that all of the kids have move away. And please do not think this dumb of me but what is a code 83 and a code 100 track? and what should I start with.

Thank you for your input if any.

marty aka Dak

here is a link to sume of the stuff I have done and where and what I will be working on in my new hobby.http://lee2763.smugmug.com/
 
Gidday Dak, I see you've been out this way, nice pics. Although that blonde archer I'll bet ruined the aim of some usually top target hitters. You're gonna learn a whole new language in model railroading (and speeds will be a lot less), but the sound of notch 8 I'm sure will please.

I'll leave others to explain the tech differences of rail codes, but basicly it's about the height of the rail. 100 in HO would be the tallest (and was the most common), 83, 75-70, 55 go down from that.
 
Hi Tootnkumin, and yes a time or two. also thank you for the info on my question, Yep I told the wife I wanted to get into a new hobby (Archery) told her it has been over 20 years for me and may want to get back into it. I sent her that picture, she told me to find something else to do LOL. plus trains are cool and im not looken for speed more of something to take me the next 15 years or so!

regards, dak
 


This is the best place to have all and any questions answered, everybody wants to encourage newbies and you won't get "flamed" for not knowing everything, like I've come across on some car forums (on a few as well).

Checkout the layout threads, with the space you have available you'll be able to indulge your imagination. Here's one to follow the build
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24509 And you mustn't miss this one
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25919
Just a couple of examples.
 
Welcome Dak,

With a 45x30 space, looks like you've got some great real estate to start with. That will allow for some nice long main lines if nothing else. Toot is correct, there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum who can help you get started.

As for the 'code 83' question, I believe that refers to the vertical thickness of the rail in fractions of an inch: Code 100 would be 0.100", code 83 = 0.083", etc.

That was smart, showing your wife how "dangerous" archery and some of those other hobbies can be - that should give you some leverage in getting her to support your spending money on model railroading! :D
 
This is the best place to have all and any questions answered, everybody wants to encourage newbies and you won't get "flamed" for not knowing everything, like I've come across on some car forums (on a few as well).

Checkout the layout threads, with the space you have available you'll be able to indulge your imagination. Here's one to follow the build
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24509 And you mustn't miss this one
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25919
Just a couple of examples.

Hey Toot thanks!
Thats good to know cause at this point all the reading I am doing on these trains tells me we are along way from the old stuff.

Wow the links here man - this is some cool stuff going on. I can't wait to get started. doing a layout right now with my cam cad setup.
 
Welcome Dak,

With a 45x30 space, looks like you've got some great real estate to start with. That will allow for some nice long main lines if nothing else. Toot is correct, there are a lot of helpful and knowledgeable people on this forum who can help you get started.

As for the 'code 83' question, I believe that refers to the vertical thickness of the rail in fractions of an inch: Code 100 would be 0.100", code 83 = 0.083", etc.

That was smart, showing your wife how "dangerous" archery and some of those other hobbies can be - that should give you some leverage in getting her to support your spending money on model railroading! :D

Well Ken it sure did work - now if we can only get the hot young ladys to feel that way about model rr right :)
and thanks for the info on the 83 code and can't wait to get started.

looking at doing a 4 to 8 track setup to I will be able to run them all at the same time.
Marty
 
Wecome to the Forums, Dak. This is the best site on the Internet for all things concerning railroads, both prototype and model. The folks here are very friendly and willing to help with anything. All you have to do is ask.

What part of Illinois are you from?
 
Hey there Burlngton Bob, Im up in Fox Lake, Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get things going! I have started to design for my lay out , & I also have some track on the way! :)

Also I can not wait to find time to check out things here as well as others builds and designs.

Dak
 
Hey Dak - welcome to the club from Chi-town. I happen to call my layout the Fox River Valley, marginally set in Wisconsin.
 


Hey Gary B - I am looking forward to seeing your layout on here.

And thank you to everyone on here everyone is so nice and so much better that other forums I have been apart of from my other hobbies.
 
Hey everyone I am not sure to post this here or in another part of the forums,
The BNSF Railway!

Right now I am not sure if I am going to run a HO or N scale, but I am thinking of doing a line of setups that would start from franklin park IL switching yard that runs north to northwest to minot ND with stops and scenic views in each part of the state (s).
Then maybe a branch off and run west to Washington state with stops and scenic views along that run west, BUT first I must do a lot of research. To see if this is even possible to accomplish. and can anyone even imagine what one could do? LOL.
 
Hi B-Bob That is what I am looking to do, that build and video (s) were perfect! right along the line of my thinking. Thanks!

Dak

need to see if I can stop my order of ho track!
 
Dak - click on my Name above and it will take you to my page and there there is a link to my photo album.

A bit out of date but not too far off the current view.

Newer ones can be found posted on various threads.
 
Howdy, DAK2763! I was raised in the Chicago-area, and model the Burlington Route, NP and GN in the 1940's and '50's. My layout takes up the majority of a 14 x 14 room, and "runs" from Central Illinois to Denver! (Lots of selective compression and imagination required.) As I have 20 years on you, I would suggest you think strongly about HO scale. As you get older, you'll probably find the smaller stuff a bit harder to re-rail, and even to see/handle. With the size of your room you can pack a good bit of the mid-West in using N scale, but eventually I'll bet you'll be happier in HO.

So far as Code is cocerned, most HO folks starting out will probably go for Code 83 track as it corresponds to 165 lb rail on the prototype. Code 100 is .100" high and a bit "heavy" for North American prototype, but since I have been modelling in HO since I was 12, and have a bunch of Code 100 around, I have stuck with that, and also for IMHO is slightly better reliability (though you'll undoubted get an argument on that score from Code 83 folks.)

Welcome to the forum. Clear tracks and Happy Holidays!
 
Dak - click on my Name above and it will take you to my page and there there is a link to my photo album.

A bit out of date but not too far off the current view.

Newer ones can be found posted on various threads.


Gary :eek:
Hey that was Just outstanding ~ to see those pictures of your build and detail made me wanting to see more!!
you got a 10 in my book,
how many years did you spend out it?
 
Dak- Thanks a lot! That started with my sons back in the early 80's as a 4X4. It went away when my younger boy needed the bedroom. Restarted and added to when we bought our house in 1997. It's been a work in progress since. Current goal has been for the last few years to complete it. Not finish but complete, no lumber showing, everything working. I'm still at least 2 years from that goal. I wish ran as good as it looks.
 
Howdy, DAK2763! I was raised in the Chicago-area, and model the Burlington Route, NP and GN in the 1940's and '50's. My layout takes up the majority of a 14 x 14 room, and "runs" from Central Illinois to Denver! (Lots of selective compression and imagination required.) As I have 20 years on you, I would suggest you think strongly about HO scale. As you get older, you'll probably find the smaller stuff a bit harder to re-rail, and even to see/handle. With the size of your room

you can pack a good bit of the mid-West in using N scale, but eventually I'll bet you'll be happier in HO.

So far as Code is cocerned, most HO folks starting out will probably go for Code 83 track as it corresponds to 165 lb rail on the prototype. Code 100 is .100" high and a bit "heavy" for North American prototype, but since I have been modelling in HO since I was 12, and have a bunch of Code 100 around, I have stuck with that, and also for IMHO is slightly better reliability (though you'll undoubted get an argument on that score from Code 83 folks.)

Welcome to the forum. Clear tracks and Happy Holidays!


Hi Trailrider

Thanks for your input on this for that is one thing I didn't think about.
I got out of modeling because I could not give them the detail as I once did. So what I did tonight is I have a HO & N scale track (36") and a diesel locomotive for each on order, now I have a 8" ledge going around the walls in this room, it is about 40" high so this will give me an idea of what scale I want to run and how it will look. I will post pictures when they get here and see what everyone thinks.

Marty AKA Dak.
Wishing all of you the best for this holiday season.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Gary I guess with all the work you have in it you will one day have it running as good as it looks! I still can't get over it I was looking so hard to try and see what was there and what was background!!! it just blew my mind, and my wife's jaw just hit the floor. Great job so far!!! loved the B/W photos!

Marty
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top