Help with layout design

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


railroaderboy

Friend = U.P.S. Man
Unfortunately, my last plans for a model railroad have been downsized. With the fortunate event of my decision to build a new desk in my room (It's about to collapse), I realized I could put a nice little N Scale layout above my monitor at 56" tall. So far, my design attempts have been having trouble not having one of the MRR's Top 10 planning mistakes. It would be so helpful if somebody could give me a little bit of a rough draft for a layout. What I would like is a layout that measures 2' x 5' and have a small bit of track in the back left corner. I would also like to have elevation changes. I like N scale for my limited space. My favorite kind of layout is either a coal-hauling Virginia (west or regular), or a Colorado Mountains layout. Please help to give me kind of a head start on my layout. Thanks to all who contribute.

Connor
 
2X5 implies something most likely based on an oval for continuous running, yes? What kind of equipment do you have- steam-era, modern?

Aside from that, I strongly suggest you pick up a copy of 102 Realistic Trackplans by Kalmbach (publishers of Model Railroader magazine). There are a lot of good plans in there that you could use as a starting point.
 


railroaderboy, take Chip's advice. Determining your vision is the main requirement in having a good plan.
 
Unfortunately, my last plans for a model railroad have been downsized. With the fortunate event of my decision to build a new desk in my room (It's about to collapse), I realized I could put a nice little N Scale layout above my monitor at 56" tall. So far, my design attempts have been having trouble not having one of the MRR's Top 10 planning mistakes. It would be so helpful if somebody could give me a little bit of a rough draft for a layout. What I would like is a layout that measures 2' x 5' and have a small bit of track in the back left corner. I would also like to have elevation changes. I like N scale for my limited space. My favorite kind of layout is either a coal-hauling Virginia (west or regular), or a Colorado Mountains layout. Please help to give me kind of a head start on my layout. Thanks to all who contribute.

Connor

Hey Connor, :)

If space is at a premium, I heartily recommend Carl Arendt's Small Layout Scrapbook

I've spent countless hours poring over the most creatively inventive ideas from all over the world on how to pack the most fun into the smallest amount of space. :)

Here's a really old but picturesque 1 foot by 4 foot N scale layout that might inspire some ideas...

yuji.jpg


Greg
 
Last edited by a moderator:




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top