Help with chassis indentification

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


AllenB

Member
Found these in some old train parts of my brother's collection. Not sure the make or what type of loco they were off of. I'd like to make dummies out of them possibly if I knew what body would fit. Any ideas?

2003_0104ring0010.png


2003_0104ring0009.png
 
those look to be athearn frames ane they look to be gp 7/9 `s . thr top one looks like a gp 38 or 38-2 or the likes of anyboby else?


Bueller....?
Bueller....?
Bueller....?:D:D:D
 
The trucks are too modern for Athearn GP-7's, although they are Athearn Blue Box frames. I'd guess the top one is a GP-50 and the lower one is a GP35/38-2, based on the size of the fuel tanks.
 


top is a GP40-2. Trucks are incorrect for GP50/60 (although I don't know whether Athearn decided to be cheap and put in incorrect trucks)

Second one is defnitely a GP38-2.

The GP7/9s have notches in the fiel tank cut out to put in the brake pipe details (which snapped into two holes)
 
top is a GP40-2. Trucks are incorrect for GP50/60 (although I don't know whether Athearn decided to be cheap and put in incorrect trucks)

Athearn used the exact same Bloomberg M trucks for their Blue Box Gp40-2/50/60's kits. They also used the same longer fuel tank frame for all of their Blue Box GP40-2/50/60's. The older Bloomberg B truck was used on the older GP35's and then later on on some of the RTR engines.

Out of the 40+ Athearn BB GP38-2/40-2/50/60's that I have in my collection, only 2 have the older Bloomberg B style sideframes.

Here's an example of Atheanrs GP40-2/50/60's.

101_0422.jpg
 
I concur with Jerome & diburning, Athearn GP38-2, GP40-2, GP50, or GP60 bodies will fit either of those frames. Fuel tank sizes are irregardless of model, but rather the choice of the railroad itself. (although GP50-60s tend to use the larger one)

Smokey Valley makes proper truck sideframes for GP50 and 60's that will fit those trucks.

But I imagine AllenB is scratching his head right now...:confused:
 
I concur with Jerome & diburning, Athearn GP38-2, GP40-2, GP50, or GP60 bodies will fit either of those frames. Fuel tank sizes are irregardless of model, but rather the choice of the railroad itself. (although GP50-60s tend to use the larger one)

Smokey Valley makes proper truck sideframes for GP50 and 60's that will fit those trucks.

But I imagine AllenB is scratching his head right now...:confused:

More like banging my head :). I was hoping they were GP7/9. Would these trucks fit a GP7/9 frame?
Allen
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top