ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I just started to paint my backdrop on my layout. I painted the wall a nice Blue. I made a trip to the hobby store yesterday to pick up some paint to start painting my clouds and mountains on the backdrop. Now it's been a while since I bought paint. I picked up some Floquil. I like the results and all, but I'm not too keen on working with a paint that I have to thin with thinner. Isnt there another brand that thins with water or that can be shot straight from the airbrush? I knew years ago Badger made some nice paints but I dont see them anywhere around here. I guess I'm looking for a paint that cleans up with water. What brand paint can I use?? Thank you for the help!!!
Johnny B

Polly S would be your best bet. It's acrylic and cleans up easily with water. You will have to thin it down some (I use Windex) but that makes it even easier to clean the brush. Most of the Floquil solvent colors are available in Polly S since both companies are owned by the same company, Testors. If you have a lot of wall to cover, almost any acrylic house paint, thinned down, can also be used equally well.
I used stock standard artists acrylics which are available at almost any arts and crafts store. These are diluted easily with water which also aids in the cleanup afterward.
Ok sounds good you guys!
Now I know the recommended mixture with Floquil was 25 % thinner and 75% paint. What would be the mix ratio with the arcylic paint and water be?? 50/50
Again: Thank you for your replies!!
if you're using a paint roller or a brush, I'd slap it right on. If you're airbrushing, then read the instructions on the bottle.
If you're spraying, a 50/50 mix usually works fine. Increase the paint ratio if you're not getting the coverage you want.
Excellent!! Thanks for your help!!
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)