Help needed with roadbed

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Ryan Kieser

New Member
Hi, hope this is the correct subforum

I am laying track for the first time and using the Woodlands Scenic roadbed. Can I glue this to my board with normal white wood glue, or do I have to use the Woodlands Scenic tack glue?

Thanks
Ryan
 
Rexhea, one of our forum members, has used the WS roadbed exclusively on his layout. All he did was glue it down with thin layers of white/yellow glue.
 
Thanks for getting back to me so quickly, going to run down to the garage and start laying roadbed, been dying to start this for years now, so seriously excited.

Cheers
Ryan
 


Yellow/white glue that is designed for glueing wood needs air to dry a set fast. If it is used to glue non-porous material together, the outer edge will setup but inside of that will remain fluid just as it is in the bottle or container. Roadbed is cork and applying it to wood should not be a problem. Applying it to foam will require a little more setup time, i.e. a couple days maybe.
 
... Applying it to foam will require a little more setup time, i.e. a couple days maybe.

We never had that problem on Rex's layout. The WS foam is very porous, and we were always able to apply the flex to it within 30-45 mins after it had been glued down on wood. It does glue to foam much better if the clear plastic, covering on the sheet foam is peeled off first.

This was on several other layouts I've had a hand in building.
 
I have a quick question along these same lines. I'm building a diorama with a styrene base. I used deluted white glue to put down a layer of dirt/rock. I'm not using a roadbed in this spot because I want to create a seldom-used track that's overgrown with grass, etc. What do I use to secure the track?
 
I would secure the track to the base with a couple of drops of ACC along the track, until its able to be covered by the ballast/scenery. Then the track will be secured very well.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top