Help: Athearn or MTH

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


@diburning, I used the minatronics SMD LED's, they are about a 1/8 inch square and are pre-wired. I used Details West lenses to fill the holes and made a styrene mount behind the nose to glue it to. I got the model and one of the ditch lights was burned out so that is why I did the minatronics lights, I did not feet like putting LED's in the ditch lights just out of pure laziness. I believe that I used a 220 ohm resister on the ditch lights and they are plenty bright.
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum/member.php?u=5069
 
Interesting discussion. I guess it really boils down to personal preference and/or brand loyalty. It's not too different than Ford vs. Chevvie, Canon vs. Nikon, boxers vs. briefs, PC vs. Mac, and so forth.

I did pull out my MTH SD70ACe last night and ran it a bit, and I must say, it runs beautifully. I wish these manufacturers would get together on key functions, but I understand the difficulty where different engines have different features. I see the arguments on both side, and might just pick up an Athearn ACe just to make a more informed decision on whether there really are tangible differences or not.
 


Yes, the models do. The prototype NS SD70ACes (which someone will make at some point) have rear ditch lights as well.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The PS3 (the MTH's with DCS) have operating front and rear ditch lights. The DCC ready have operating front ditch lights and non-operating rear ditch lights.
 
Thanks everybody! I finally got an MTH DCC ready SD70M-2 in FEC painting scheme. It is really nice. The details are not bad, particularly it has operating front ditch lights and dummy rear ditch lights! It runs smoothly, silently on the tracks.

I also want to try Athearn in the future. :)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top