CustomDave
New Member
Hello, I am just at the beginning stages of getting into this. It started a few weeks ago when my 3 year old daughter saw my old train set box at my Mom's house. We took it home, but the engine and controller are missing, most of the tracks are rusty, and most of the houses, cars etc, are busted up. Needless to say, it might be good to use for spare parts for stuff. So, I plan on buying a new set, and doing what I had always dreamed of when I was a kid, and building a whole setup with multiple trains, building etc. I plan on doing this in HO scale as I already have a few usable things.
I plan on starting somewhat small. I have vacation time next week, and I am going to build the table. I plan on using a full sheet of plywood for the top which should give me plenty of room to work with. I have also seen that there should be some type of foam insulation on top of it to prevent problems with warping down the road.
I read that it is good to stick with a time period. The one that seems most appealing to me seems to be the most popular one. I believe it is called the transitional period. (1940's-1950's?) I like that you can run diesel and coal powered locomotives on that style. I am into traditional hod rods and customs, so I am hoping to eventually work some car stuff into the scenery as well.
OK so here are some questions that I have.
Any suggestions or preferred materials in building a table?
When it comes time to layout the track should I just start with a basic oval and add on to it as time goes on? This seems the best idea for now, but will it cause problems later when I want to ad more trains?
Is there a preferred brand when it comes to this stuff? The only brand I know is Lionel, but I am not seeing any of their stuff when I have looked around.
Also I have my fathers old Lionel from the late 50's to mid 60's. Not sure what year or anything. I have all the tracks and the crossing signal, but I think the control has gone bad on it. Can these be fixed? I don't plan on running a huge set up with it, but it would be cool to get it set up under the Christmas tree this year.
Thanks for reading, hope I don't bug you all to much with all of the questions. Just like to do my research and make sure stuff is done right.
I plan on starting somewhat small. I have vacation time next week, and I am going to build the table. I plan on using a full sheet of plywood for the top which should give me plenty of room to work with. I have also seen that there should be some type of foam insulation on top of it to prevent problems with warping down the road.
I read that it is good to stick with a time period. The one that seems most appealing to me seems to be the most popular one. I believe it is called the transitional period. (1940's-1950's?) I like that you can run diesel and coal powered locomotives on that style. I am into traditional hod rods and customs, so I am hoping to eventually work some car stuff into the scenery as well.
OK so here are some questions that I have.
Any suggestions or preferred materials in building a table?
When it comes time to layout the track should I just start with a basic oval and add on to it as time goes on? This seems the best idea for now, but will it cause problems later when I want to ad more trains?
Is there a preferred brand when it comes to this stuff? The only brand I know is Lionel, but I am not seeing any of their stuff when I have looked around.
Also I have my fathers old Lionel from the late 50's to mid 60's. Not sure what year or anything. I have all the tracks and the crossing signal, but I think the control has gone bad on it. Can these be fixed? I don't plan on running a huge set up with it, but it would be cool to get it set up under the Christmas tree this year.
Thanks for reading, hope I don't bug you all to much with all of the questions. Just like to do my research and make sure stuff is done right.
