Hello from NJ ...

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


venksv

New Member
Hi guys,
Long time lurker finally posting something. Been meaning to start on my layout for ages and finally hoping to get something done now .... i'm a newbie and am thinking to start off with a std 4x8 HO layout. I'm probably going to use one of the many 4x8s available online and then make changes as I go along .... I've done basic DC layouts before but am thinking of going DCC as I like sound+lights and would also like to run 2, maybe 3 locos. wealth of info out here and I think I'm getting into the mode of over-analysing things without really doing anything practical ... planning to start putting together tracks soon - will keep you posted.

Cheers!

Venky.
 
oh one thing - does anyone recommend any hobby shops/clubs in central NJ (around middlesex county)? for some reason, haven't found many posts from NJers (or maybe I haven't looked hard enough!!!)
 
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you onboard!

The forum has a directory of hobby shops and many other links as well. Click on "forum" at the top of the page to see a table of contents.

I copied the link to the page that has New Jersey shops http://www.modelrailroaddata.com/suppliers/Hobby_Shops/Mid_Atlantic_USA/more2.html

Do a search on the internet as well when you are looing for a particular item. You will find prices can vary greatly.

My local hobby shop is one of the most competitively priced on the Web
www.modeltrainstuff.com They are located just north of Baltimore.
www.trainworld.com just across the Verrazano bridge in Brooklyn is another very competitive dealer
Both offer fair priced shipping.

Amazon is another place to look but their prices are inconsistent some are the best you will find, others not so good. One good thing about Amazon is most items over $35 are free shipping.

eBay can be great too, but keep in mind the old saying "buyer beware"

You can always come on here and ask for help find a good price for a particular Item
 


Thanks Bruette! Have been checking eBay and Amazon periodically. Prefer Amazon as I've got Prime, so free 2d shipping! Do you guys normally buy tracks new or used? I'm currently working with code 100 sectional ...
 
The Train Room, on Arnold Ave, in Point Beach @ the Shore; The Model Railroad shop @ Vail & New Market in Piscataway (Dunellen); or The Big Little Railroad shop, Main street in Somerville.
MB Klein in Maryland and Trainworld, in Brooklyn. There are others but...............Also Hobbymasters, in Red Bank. All within a reasonable distance from Middlesex Co.
 
I am happy to help. I feel it's important to pay forward all the help that I have gotten and continue to get. This is the best forum because it has the best people! I doubt you could find a more knowledgeable and considerate group of people in any forum on the web.

I am primarily Lionel O gauge and I use Lionel's Fastrack system. I also have HO and I use Bachmann's EZ track system. Both are super easy, just snap together and run trains! I even have a few N scale and I also use Bachmann's N gauge EZ track.

I'll leave the question about used track to the experts. I personally don't buy used track. I have gotten most of my track from Ready to Run (RTR) sets. I think its the most economical way to build inventory. My experience is if I buy RTR sets and price each piece it usually come out to less then 50% of what it would have cost to buy each piece. Modelers looking for more realistic layouts used the more advanced track systems. I just like to play with my trains!

Thanks Bruette! Have been checking eBay and Amazon periodically. Prefer Amazon as I've got Prime, so free 2d shipping! Do you guys normally buy tracks new or used? I'm currently working with code 100 sectional ...
 
Howdy and welcome i use code 100 atlas track a lot of my track was bought use. so there nothing wrong with it in ' lest i dont think so. you just need to be a little more carefull and check them for damage. turn are very inportant to check.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top