Aidan's Dad
New Member
Hello, I'm Aidan's Dad, Scott. As with most on here, I had a small HO train set as a kid that was eventually boxed up as I found other interests. 3 decades later and I have my own kids; my son Aidan is autistic. The only reason I mention this is because of his love for trains and this being the only thing he has ever shown any interest in and has communicated to me about. I am grasping at anything to build a bond with him, definitly grabbing hold of this.
This started a few years ago and when I noticed he always paid attention to the train that runs through our small town, the GA Northeastern. He knows the schedule and we often go to the old station to watch it pass by. If we are out in the yard and he hears the horn he'll let everyone know the train is comming. Of course, there was the obsession with Thomas (thank gawd he outgrew that). We've been on the TN Valley RR and the Great Smokey Mtn RR, both of which he absolutely loves.
After countless hours spent on all the train forums, youtube and any other place I could find trains we (he) has decided that, without question, steam will be the power and mountains, tunnels and bridges will be the scene. We have the bench done and set up my old HO as well as what the G-parent gave him for his birthday. "Daddy, we need more room." My thought exactly but we have no more room. N Scale it is! while we plan on working in all the scenery, being perfectly prototypical isn't as important as long climbing/decending runs and all the other features... think HOexplorer's current layout (in theme, not expertise).
So, now you know a little about me and my motivation. I look forward to seeing ya'll in the N Scale forum. I have many questions that in seeking answers have only produced more questions!
This is what we are working with 5x10 on wheels. ~ Scott
This started a few years ago and when I noticed he always paid attention to the train that runs through our small town, the GA Northeastern. He knows the schedule and we often go to the old station to watch it pass by. If we are out in the yard and he hears the horn he'll let everyone know the train is comming. Of course, there was the obsession with Thomas (thank gawd he outgrew that). We've been on the TN Valley RR and the Great Smokey Mtn RR, both of which he absolutely loves.
After countless hours spent on all the train forums, youtube and any other place I could find trains we (he) has decided that, without question, steam will be the power and mountains, tunnels and bridges will be the scene. We have the bench done and set up my old HO as well as what the G-parent gave him for his birthday. "Daddy, we need more room." My thought exactly but we have no more room. N Scale it is! while we plan on working in all the scenery, being perfectly prototypical isn't as important as long climbing/decending runs and all the other features... think HOexplorer's current layout (in theme, not expertise).
So, now you know a little about me and my motivation. I look forward to seeing ya'll in the N Scale forum. I have many questions that in seeking answers have only produced more questions!
This is what we are working with 5x10 on wheels. ~ Scott
Last edited by a moderator:
