ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I been modeling railroads off and on for about 25 years in HO, N and a little G. My current layout is HO standard gauge 5x16 double dog bone. I been working on it for about 8 years taking several long breaks due to family and work responsibilities. It's all old school transistor throttle DC (DYI stuff or heavenly modified commercial parts), nothing against DCC, just on this size layout I couldn't justify the additional expense.
Welcome to the forum. Don't worry about being a DC operator. I have been working on my layout for over 25 years. Progress was slowed because of no hobby shops at all in my area. The main reason I have stayed with DC is first off, I am a line operator. Secondly, my layout is a point to point switching layout. Never have more than one train running at a time, but do MU a couple of locomotives from time to time.
Like you, there is the expense, but also the time that would be involved in converting over 30 locomotives, and many of them would have to have major work done to them to make room for decoders. In my case, DC works just fine. I use a GML hand throttle with memory. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Howdy sphinx we are glad to see you, and merry christmas aswell
Hello, and welcome Sphinx!
What part of Cent Al do you reside in? Any trouble from the storms yesterday? I'm in Hoover, and I do model the SRR, in steam no less. I also have a "shortline" that I model, so I can have some locos that I like, that the SRR never had.
Again, Welcome to the best forum on the net, and remember that the only dumb question is the one never asked. So ask away and we'll be glad to help as much as we can.
Cjcrescent, this was too funny. I loaded an avatar of the Southern Serves the South drum head just like yours before I read your post. I didn't want to be a copy cat so I changed mine to my private railroad herald! My layout is a fictitious short line Cedar Cove RailRoad in the Appalachian chain that interchanges with the Southern. I run 60's era but I'm not dedicated to one time period. May layout is no where near complete, but I can run trains! I have a small selection of locos including a GP18, Baby Trainmaster, and some switchers and aging I not a rivet counter so if a bullet train showed up on 1965 I would not be upset. What time period/location do you model?
I live in Sylacauga and yes we got lots of rain last night but no damage.
Excellent! I hope that wee can meet soon and check each other's layouts out.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)