Helix

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I did some maths.

2" of rise per turn.
2% grade needs 100" of length 100/3.14= 32"diameter
3% grade needs 67" of length 67/3.14= 21"diameter
4% grade needs 50" of length 50/3.14= 16"diameter

hope this helps
Steve
 


Try really hard for no more than 2.5-2.7%. Once you get nearer to 3% and above, you can figure on trains less than half the length they would be on the flats, and that's without a tight curve around which to drag all those flanges rubbing on the inside rail head.

IOW, go beyond a 20" curve if you can. Remember that you need clearance between the top of the lower rail head and the wheels atop the rails on the level above. Between those two points you must pass your highest rolling stock, including caboose chimneys or MOW wrecker cranes, maybe some double-stacks if you are in modern times, the road bed, and the tracks resting on the roadbed.
 
Thats what I was thinking I only need two inches of height and I can get a little bit of that with a straight incline also. I need to get some peices cut and built and see I guess.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top