ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Being new to model railroading, I need to ask a question that I hope is simple. I have a Bachman N-Scale Northern 4-8-4 that has, I think, a headlight problem. The headlight is at best an dim amber and will not get brighter regardless of throttle setting. Before I go disassembling the loco, is this likely a poorly attached wire or is this pretty much the norm for that engine/manufacturer?
Thanks,
John
John, that locomotive has constant voltage headlight so it shouldn't change with the the throttle setting. I've seen a couple of these Northerns and all of them have a dim, amber light, which I guess is supposed to represent the look of an incandescent bulb and reflector headlight rather than be bright white sealed beam lights of today. I don't think there's anything wrong with your locomotive but someone who's in N scale can confirm or deny that.
I have a couple of HO Mikados that are the same. They do look realistic.
Bob
Gomez Addams
Staff member
That is a yellow LED in there. It's about as bright as it's going to get.
Thanks for all the input. I'm glad I didn't start disassembling it for nothing.
John
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)