ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I thought I would post up a link too Hakko. To me they are the best I owned..I am looking at the FX-888 SOLDERING STATION right now I am thinking of selling my Hakko 936.It was made until last year.I got mine when they frist came out with the 936 Hakko and I swear byit.Hakko's have alot of diff. tips for the there soldering irons and soldering stations and there other Eq.I had a weller for a few years I was not happy with it and I bought a hakko and I love it.So here's a link to there site.They have alot of good pointers on there too.Let me know you all think of them.I know I swear by them.Some of there stuff is really pricey But for Irons and stations are not to bad on price.You can find a FX-888 cheaper if you do a search on the web.I found one for 80.00 with free shipping.
I'm a electronic technician by trade and I have had the 936 station just after they came out, and I totally agree with you they are the best and will last a very long time. I am going to stick with my 936 as at the moment I don't see any reason to get rid of it as it does a fine job and I use it everyday.
The FX-888 I think would probably be better however for lead free solder but I am still using lead solder.
Thanks for your post and the link to Hakko.