Had it with Digitrax!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


wombat457

I'm the one
I'll make this quick ...

If anyone wants a Digitrax Starter System - all you have to do is drive to my place, stop outside and pick it up from the front lawn.

Think that more or less tells you what I think of the "crap"!

Time to set up my NCE system.
 
You're too far away Tony, or I might just take up the offer and wait for a burger (and a beer) while I watch your G scale railroad run.
 
I'll make this quick ...
Hmmmm..... according to google maps

via I-90 W and I-80 W23 h 25 min
1,574 miles
21 h 59 min without traffic ·
This route has tolls.

I think that I would spend more in gasoline than I could buy a new system for!
Of course it is not like I "need" yet another DCC system, It just happens that is one type I do not currently own.
 


You're too far away Tony, or I might just take up the offer and wait for a burger (and a beer) while I watch your G scale railroad run.

Hmmmm..... according to google maps

via I-90 W and I-80 W23 h 25 min
1,574 miles
21 h 59 min without traffic ·
This route has tolls.

I think that I would spend more in gasoline than I could buy a new system for!
Of course it is not like I "need" yet another DCC system, It just happens that is one type I do not currently own.

Darn it guys - you are making it difficult. Seriously, if either of you gentleman are genuinely interested in it then so far as I am concerned you can have it if you want to pay the shipping. Hell, I'd even hand deliver it if you guys weren't so far away.

Look, the damn thing never did seem to work properly from day one. It wouldn't program engine addresses (including the default 03), it will not reset to factory default - it is just a pure pain in the arse for me. You guys might be able to work it out BUT I can't and I really think that it was the main problem with my wife's layout.

Now I have removed the digitrax and replaced it with an old MRC 1370 Railpower Throttle, I can run trains without any issues what so ever. In fact, I ran my little GP35 for 45 minutes around all sections of the layout without a single incident, and with the exception of one or two spots where it hesitated due to dirty track, it ran perfectly.

That fact alone tells me one of two things:

1. The digitrax was screwed up and causing the power problems, or
2. DCC is just too damn touchy to be bothered with.

The last point will be proven or negated when I connect up my NCE System. If I go back to having the same issues with running trains with that, then that too maybe up for grabs!
 
If I could really use it I would take you up on the offer. I have operated on a few layouts while visiting friends and enjoyed using it, but being in the boonies if I were to have questions about it, there is nobody locally to work with. I guess it would be easy to wire in to my layout, but still, I only use one train at a time and really can't see any advantages with DCC for my purposes.
 
Which Digitrax starter system is giving you trouble? Most any DCC system will be more problematic than straight DC if there are track related electrical problems.

It was the Empire Starter System - all singing, all dancing. What I don't understand is why that is - that DCC will be more problematic than DC if there are track related electrical problems. Power is power. It goes from point A to Point B. I guess that statement probably say's a lot too.

If I could really use it I would take you up on the offer. I have operated on a few layouts while visiting friends and enjoyed using it, but being in the boonies if I were to have questions about it, there is nobody locally to work with. I guess it would be easy to wire in to my layout, but still, I only use one train at a time and really can't see any advantages with DCC for my purposes.

I am quickly beginning to think the same way Chet. I would like to run 2 trains, just to keep it interesting, but I don't think I can put up with any more (what I see as) idiotic issues that are preventing me from running even 1 train.

It seems he should have one on one training for DCC. Perhaps somebody close to where he lives would volunteer. I would, but I am too far away (2000 miles). Surely there is someone or a club near where he lives. Come on locals, he appears to really need some assistance in the more technical areas of MRRing.

Jerry - BINGO! We have a winner. I would give anything to have some one on one "training" with someone, literally almost. Just to be able to spend a day with someone who can show me what I am doing wrong. Just one day is all it would take I think.

Where I live is considered the "boonies", much like Monatnan. I did approach a local club (15 minutes away) and became a member of it. I asked if someone could come out and take a look at what I have and give me a hand with the problems. I had 2 people tell me "yeah sure no problem". That was almost 2 years ago and I am still waiting :(

Tony, If you think your Digitrax is not working send it into them and have them look it over.

This site you can talk to a real support person.
I did this and found they were very helpful.

http://www.digitrax.com/support/returns/

Dale,

I know I am inept when it comes to anything more than basic electrical things; but I really do think there is something wrong with the Digitrax. Whether it was a lemon from the word go OR if it is because I pushed the wrong button at the wrong time - I don't know.

I might give them a call and see but either way, Digitrax is way too complex for me. Perhaps DCC is just way too complex for me period.

I'll take any and all throttles. Name the price.

Terry in NW Wisconsin

Terry,

When I posted if anyone wanted it, all they had to was turn up and get it - I was 110% serious. I still want to get rid of it BUT if it is not working properly then (in my opinion) it is not worth anything.

Quite a few people have shown interest in it but before I do part with it (and I will) I need to be sure that I am not giving someone something that is useless and that could cost them more to fix than what it is worth.

Stay tuned guys and I will have the thing looked at and checked, then I will re-advertise it so to speak.
 
When I posted if anyone wanted it, all they had to was turn up and get it - I was 110% serious. I still want to get rid of it BUT if it is not working properly then (in my opinion) it is not worth anything.

Quite a few people have shown interest in it but before I do part with it (and I will) I need to be sure that I am not giving someone something that is useless and that could cost them more to fix than what it is worth.

Stay tuned guys and I will have the thing looked at and checked, then I will re-advertise it so to speak.


Tony,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your system. I know I had some frustration initially with my Zephyr Xtra although I am not a whole lot of help with troubleshooting. Let me know if you do want to get rid of it as it may be something I am interested in.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Tony, I have the Super Empire Builder, and have used Digitrax for many years. PM me your phone number, and I'll try to talk you through your issues.
 
Tony,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your system. I know I had some frustration initially with my Zephyr Xtra although I am not a whole lot of help with troubleshooting. Let me know if you do want to get rid of it as it may be something I am interested in.

Thanks NIKO and yeah, frustrations is the right word for it with me - to the point of getting angry with it sadly.

Tony, I have the Super Empire Builder, and have used Digitrax for many years. PM me your phone number, and I'll try to talk you through your issues.

bnsf,

Thank you for making that offer and I just might do that, PM you my phone number but at the moment if I stay with DCC on the layout I really do think I will go with my NCE System as it seems to be a lot more user friendly than the digitrax. Honestly though, I am even considering staying with DC for the interim as the layout is running with DC and that is what I have now conceded to myself is the most important thing.

That being said though, I would be interested to know if there was anything wrong with the Digitrax or if it really is just me.

Tony, you have a PM. I've heard lots of good things about NCE.

Mike,

I have heard a lot about a lot of systems and how good they are etc etc etc. The one thing that seems to be a constant is that Digitrax IS a good system, a very good system, but is also one of the most complex to contend with. I don't doubt the first part of that and am darn sure I can concur with the second part, especially for a novice.
 
In a nutshell, I want to thank bnsf for all his help on the phone this evening. That phone call established two things:

1. I had messed something up with the digitrax while trying to figure it out, and
2. One of the engines that wouldn't run seems to have a decoder problem.

As of this evening, I have three of my 5 DCC engines running on both DCC and DC and that is a huge step forward for me. I also have a better understanding of how to "change things" using the DTS 402 and did actually change engine addresses as well as a momentum thingy, thanks to bnsf.

This does not mean that I wont be connecting my NCE System though, but it does give me more confidence with using DCC.
 
In a nutshell, I want to thank bnsf for all his help on the phone this evening. That phone call established two things:

1. I had messed something up with the digitrax while trying to figure it out, and
2. One of the engines that wouldn't run seems to have a decoder problem.

As of this evening, I have three of my 5 DCC engines running on both DCC and DC and that is a huge step forward for me. I also have a better understanding of how to "change things" using the DTS 402 and did actually change engine addresses as well as a momentum thingy, thanks to bnsf.

This does not mean that I wont be connecting my NCE System though, but it does give me more confidence with using DCC.
Glad I could help.
Your next lesson will be in MUing locomotives using your DT402. Let me know when you're ready.
 


WOW! (thanks again!) Missed going Digitrax by a hair, NCE all the way now! This is another fine example of the worth of this forum.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top