Guess I am committed

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


jim81147

Active Member
or maybe I just need to be committed :) I just placed an order for all my trestle lumber . Last nite got all the track laid , wired and tested for the new "mountain division " . Time to start shaping some mountains and making canyon bottoms where I can set trestle bents . Need to get my jig built also . So the travels continue.....
 
Chet , I have to try to figure the photo posting out . I did open a photo bucket account and I do have an old camera , so I just have to figure out now how to use them.
 


You don't necessarily have to have a photo bucket account to post on here. I find it is easier to download the photo onto my computer ( in "my pictures") then when I go to add it to my post select my computer then search and open and select that way.

A lot of guys do use photobucket so that is a popular preferred way.
 
If you want to post a photo, it is easy. In the menu above the the bod where you're typing while posting, click on he third icon from the right. It will bring up insert image. If you have the photos saved on your computer, click on select files and it should send you to your photos. Open what ever album your photo is in. When you find the photo you want, right click on it and click on select. After the photo down loads, click upload files. Presto, you posted a photo.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Going to give this a try . IMG_2168.jpgIMG_2167.jpgthis is a view looking up the canyon . Had to make removable bench work so I could reach the back . Small trestle will be in the back , large trestle in front .
 


or maybe I just need to be committed :) I just placed an order for all my trestle lumber . Last nite got all the track laid , wired and tested for the new "mountain division " . Time to start shaping some mountains and making canyon bottoms where I can set trestle bents . Need to get my jig built also . So the travels continue.....

Welcome to The Ward! Meds are served with (IN!) the coffee every morning!

imagesVL6VTC2Q.jpgNurse 'Wrench" will see you to your room!
 
Yes Chet , I have had the basic trackwork down for 3-4 months now , just running a few trains over and over to test for reliability. I have had to make a few changes/corrections but not to bad . This is just an addition so that I can have some mountain terrain and some bridges . Most of the layout is flat . I will see if I can get some pics up later in the day . I worked last night forming some mountains and part of the canyon so I could get the small trestle area finished first , since when complete I wont be able to reach very well.
 
Running the trains to test reliability is a very wise move. When I started my layout, I was handlaying code 70 rail and turnouts and I didn't even think about scenery for a couple of years. I ran trains backwards and forwards for months to find out if I had and problem areas. Must have done a good job as none were found. When I was installing the last yard on my layout with Shinohara code 70 rail and turnouts I did the same thing. I backed 20+ car trains through every possible route through the yard, and again no problems. It's a lot sasier to adjust tracks without any scenery.
 
I used for a hill in west Indiana that also is a coal mine stacked foam carved painted black and pillow foamed with green lichen for a deep presence.
 
here are some more pics of the progress . I also agree that scenery needs to wait until you are sure with your trackwork . I let my train run for about five hours on this newest loop just to make sure IMG_2169.jpg This is some webbing for forming the canyon and mountains .IMG_2184.jpg IMG_2179.jpg IMG_2175.jpg
 
Here are a few with the plaster applied . It gives a better sense of what I am trying to do . I dip the paper towels in plaster and that gives me something to build up the hydrocal on . IMG_2187.jpg IMG_2185.jpg IMG_2186.jpg
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top