Greetings!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


BNSFnut

New Member
Hello all!

I'm a junior in high school from northern Minnesota. I'm starting (trying) to get in on the model railroad scene and have a great foundation to get started on. My grandpa was a model railroader, but he passed away in 2011. He owned a hobby shop back in the day when he lived in Illinois and had a layout then. He moved up here to Minnesota and had plans for a layout, but time disagreed. He had a room in the basement for the layout and everything. For years he's been buying models. So basically my grandma was left with a basement FULL of model trains. Most of them are going to be sold, but I'll be able to take ones I want and supplies I'll need for my own layout I'm starting to plan.

Thing is all the stuff he has is pretty daunting to an inexperienced newbie. So I hope I'll be able to post all of my questions on here, as a I come across things and need some experienced model railroaders to give me explanations and advice on what to do with all of the stuff.

I'm currently just toying around with some different ideas for a layout. My little brother is getting into the whole idea as well. He's actually quite eager about the idea. So hopefully this is the place I'm looking for, to get advice and such.

Thanks for reading! Have a wonderful day/night, whichever it may be :)
 
Welcome to the forum. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a hobby shop inventory to choose from.

I wonder how your grandma will be selling the hobby store stuff. If any is going on ebay, let us know and we can keep an eye out for the stuff. A lot of us are shoppers.

Good luck on your new endeavour!!!! lasm
 
Welcome. This is a great place to ask questions and get friendly, helpful answers.

In terms of a layout, be willing to start small, even if you want to dream big. It's amazing how many great layouts, even huge layouts, started from something a lot smaller. And good luck!
 


Welcome to the forum, glad to have you onboard!

As a grandfather myself I am so happy to hear your story!

You found the best place to learn about trains.

Ask any question you like and one of the many experts on here will be more then happy to help and remember, the only dumb question is the one you don't ask!

Have fun with your trains and I hope to hear much more from you!
 
Welcome to the best and friendliest forum on the web! Whatever you do do not be afraid to ask any question. The only dumb question is the one not asked!
 
Thank you everyone! I look forward to learning!

My family will be selling my Grandpa's trains on Ebay, and I can definitely post listings on here. He focused on the steam to diesel transition period, lots of Great Northern, Milwaukee Road, and Santa Fe stuff. Feel free to contact me if your looking for anything from these roads around the 40's and 50's time period. There's a decent chance I'll be able to find it ha ha. Oh, and it's all HO. Think I forgot to mention that earlier.

Thanks for all the positive replies! I look forward to getting into this hobby.
 
G'day ...From Australia ....Fantastic to see some younger forum ers ..not that there's anything wrong with being older..You're starting at a great age ...unlike me who was well into my forties before getting going...You'll love the forum ....great advice ...friendly and lots of fun...Don't be shy asking questions either and as you get into the hobby you'll be able to pass on your own advice and help...Cheers Rod
 
Welcome to the forum. You are in the right place, you will find a wealth of knowledge on here. Do you know how much space you have for the layout? You can start small and always expand if you need to. The main thing is, do not get over your head at the start. You may want to start with a simple track plan that you can manage and have nice scenery in the layout. I am 48 yrs old and just starting this hobby myself, my layout is only 4 X 6 in HO scale. It is a work in progress and I am learning new things all the time. Be patient and enjoy the process of building the layout. Feel free to ask questions on this forum, these guys are awesome and have helped me a lot. Keep us posted on your progress, we like pictures.

Thanks
Scott
 
Feel free to contact me if your looking for anything from these roads around the 40's and 50's time period.


Thanks for all the positive replies! I look forward to getting into this hobby.

That is my time period but I am mainly looking for Northern Pacific , M&St.L, and Chicago and Northwestern. It may be best to alert me when the stuff goes on ebay, to make sure you get the best price.

lasm
 


That is my time period but I am mainly looking for Northern Pacific , M&St.L, and Chicago and Northwestern. It may be best to alert me when the stuff goes on ebay, to make sure you get the best price.

lasm

There's a fair bit of NP and C&N stuff as well! I brought some models home with me from my last visit to grandma's and when I get those listed on my Dad's ebay store I'll be sure to let the forum know. Logandsawman I'll try and PM you if I get any of your roads up and listed.

Thanks again for all the positive replies!
 
Walcome i agree with the advise to start small but i would also recommend. you play for adding to your layout so you don't need to change what you already have for the add on
 
I am mainly looking for Northern Pacific , M&St.L, and Chicago and Northwestern.
You TOO! You are the 2nd M&St.L person I've bumped into in the past 2 months. Lets not get into a bidding war on those Atlas RS-1s!

I think I have all the older typical NP stuff I want, except for maybe another Atlas U33C. I believe I need #3305. Of course I should probably just wait until Atlas re-runs that unit but with sound. I could use some of the 25' caboose. Who made those? Was that a Ambrose kit?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
You TOO! You are the 2nd M&St.L person I've bumped into in the past 2 months. Lets not get into a bidding war on those Atlas RS-1s!

?


These are what I would really like. Thinking in the future will have to get blanks and paint them myself.

n M&STL 410 Sonny's.JPG

n M&STL 600-601-602-Cedar Lake Sonny's.JPG

Have Fun!!!! lasm
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top