Greetings from Pittsburgh - New Member

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


thestumper

New Member
Hi all,

Gearing up for a big game today at PITT, but wanted to post up and introduce myself. I'm just getting back into model railroading after, oh, I don't know, 25 years of being away :-)

I've always been an HO guy, but I've been extremely tempted with the N scale stuff I've been seeing. I'm running into space/wife constraints with my HO gear, and before I start a "real" layout, I'm going to want to do some research here to see what direction I ultimately go. I'm DC only at the moment, but that could change.

I managed to get out to the big show in Columbus, Ohio a couple of weeks ago and had a blast - somehow managed not to spend my life savings in one day :-) I also checked out a local show yesterday in PITT and have to say that it was somewhat disappointing, although I did score some old AHM passenger cars NIB for cheap that I'd been searching for.

I'm interested in PRR, B&O, and UP as far as road names, possibly CSX as well. I like PRR because of the local nature, and the variety of engines and stock. I have an interest in the B&O because both of my grandfathers and my uncle worked for the B&O (Uncle was an engineer). I like UP just because of the enormous variety of hardware available and that fact that they are still current and kicking.

So enough about me, but I'm looking forward to getting educated here and meeting some cool people.

Thanks!
 
Hi,
I'm also from Pittsburgh, (North Hills area) and like you, got back into model railroading a couple of years ago after an absence of many years. We might have passed each other at the Greenberg show yesterday as I was there as well. Unfortunately this show seems to be going downhill the past few years. The October show at Timonium is pretty good, and the wife and I make it weekend getaway for that one.

I don't have a layout right now either, but I did get caught up in collecting locomotives and cars from any railroad which runs, or did run, in western Pennsylvania. This has proven to be a costly endeavor.

I also got interested in railfanning which has proven to be a lot os fun. This is another excuse for little overnight trips.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
Tom
 
Welcome to the forum! I live about 3 hours east of you along the turnpike. Great to meet you. I am into PRR and East Broad Top. Have my own layout and president of a PRR/EBT layout locally here. Glad to have you on board!. Ask away, many good pople here to help you in any way needed. Enjoy your stay!
 
way-back from Pgh

I grew up in Pittsburgh. Watched B&O and some Pennsy. Like the P&LE and knew an actual RR employee. I have fond memories of old Pgh and Lake Erie station before the new shopping area.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top