Grade crossing flasher detection unit - recommendations needed

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


IronBeltKen

Lazy Daydreamer
I need a simple detection system to control a set of crossbucks for a single-track crossing, from both directions. What I'd prefer is a setup that uses 4 optical sensors, two for each direction, where the first activates the flasher when the loco runs over it and the second turns it off after the last car passes over.

I know NJ International sells one, but I don't know about any others. Hopefully there are some available that I can afford, that don't require an EE degree to understand the instructions.

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated! :)
 
Crossing sensor

MTH, sells a crossing gate setup with gates. Only two sensors. Works fine but it's complete.
Wayne
 


Wayne, thanks for replying. That MTH set is definitely a nice system - but I've already got a set of crossbucks and the module that makes them flash back-and-forth. It currently is manually activated, I just need the part that turns it on automatically.
 
Get the logicrail system, it great! I have the infrared version and it works beautifully and was easy to wire up, using my DC controller to power it.

I had some questions about it, and called and the gentlemen was very friendly and helpful.
 
Get the logicrail system, it great! I have the infrared version and it works beautifully and was easy to wire up, using my DC controller to power it.

I had some questions about it, and called and the gentlemen was very friendly and helpful.

Thnx Michael that's good to know!

Would I be able to get one of these thru my LHS or would I have to order it from them direct?
 
www.azatrax.com will show you what they offer. They have independent infrared detectors and actuation modules that will do exactly what you want. The IR emitter/detector sets can be located between the rails using reflections off the underside of the train cars, or you can mount them above the track so the IR beam is broken by the train. The advantage to the use of IR instead of visible light sensors is that you can turn the lights out and run the trains at "night".
 
Thnx Michael that's good to know!

Would I be able to get one of these thru my LHS or would I have to order it from them direct?

I think its rare that hobby shops will have them. If they didn't have them at Caboose Hobbies which they usually have everything.

I just ended up ordering from Logic Rail. They had a pretty quick shipment time, within a day or two.

Speaking of which, when I recently tore up some track when I cut the middle section out, I damaged the infrared wires. So I need to order another set.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


So you think infrared is the better option of the two?

On my previous layout, I had an interlocking protection area and a grade crossing setup. This was over twenty years ago, before IR stuff became readily available for model railroading. I sometimes like to run trains at "night" (i.e., with the lights out). I built my own detection circuits and used optical detectors. The only trouble was that if I turned out the lights in the train room, everything set "red". Having seen a demo of Azatrax at a local train show, I bought several sets of grade crossing modules and detectors. The latest versions have more detection circuits per module, if you want them. They still have the less sensor detection circuit boards, at a slightly reduced price. Azatrax' modules have a connection for use with a standard doorbell.

The other brand that I have also used for grade crossings is Model Railroad Technologies grade crossing and their crossing controller sound card. These are also IR detected. The crossing controller sound card requires the grade crossing card, but the crossing card can be operated without the sound card. The sound card set comes with the loud speaker. It plugs into the crossing card. I like the sound of the MRT module best. I don't think the two are compatable with the Azatrax system due to the logic. Caboose Hobbies in Denver does stock the MRT equipment. You can contact MRT directly at [email protected] .
 
I have the LogicRail IR system controlling the NJ International 1164 crossing gates I have on a two track set up. In this manner, it requires to Grade Crossing Pro boards,but it's pretty simple set up. The IR does seem a bit sensitive to light changes and works best in darker conditions imho. It requires quite a bit of tweaking of the boards' settings to get the sensitivity just right. I like the system though and have no regrets purchasing it.

Brad
 
The Azatrax and the Model Railroad Technologies sensors don't seem overly sensitive to ambient light, though ambient can affect any sensor system. But Azatrax suggests ways to overcome this. I've found one way when using the above ground sensor setup is to make a shield or shade for the receiver and if necessary the emitter. I use small pieces of black plastic electrical tape draped over the sensor to shield out excessive light. I've got one location right under a window that catches morning sunlight. A window shade and the electrical tape takes care of the problem. The Azatrax setup really doesn't have a lot of adjustment on the boards. Don't need it. Main adjustment has to do with the rate of flash of the crossing lights.
 
Thank you all for your input, gents! I think I have enough info now to make my decision.

TR - I really like the Azatrax 'hi-resolution' configuration, that would be great for this spot where a local sometimes needs to leave 80% of its train on the opposite side of the crossing from where the industry spur is located.

Brad - My flashers are NJ International LEDs, so at least your reply tells me that the LogicRail system works with them.
 
Thank you all for your input, gents! I think I have enough info now to make my decision.

TR - I really like the Azatrax 'hi-resolution' configuration, that would be great for this spot where a local sometimes needs to leave 80% of its train on the opposite side of the crossing from where the industry spur is located.

Brad - My flashers are NJ International LEDs, so at least your reply tells me that the LogicRail system works with them.

The biggest problem I have with operating crossing gates is where the dadblamed crossing is smack over the benchwork, with no way to mount any kind of actuator, Turtle, manual or otherwise! :( Then about the only thing you can do is put the flashers next to the crossing. Not bad on a country road, but a bit dangerous for scale model motorists on a main highway. That's where you definitely need a sound module in your locos to warn those 1/87 drivers there's a train coming! ;) Especially important where the Zephyr is highballing along at 100+ mph. Yes, and I was on board them a couple of times as a kid, especially on the "Q's" 3-track "speedway" through Aurora, Illinios.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The biggest problem I have with operating crossing gates is where the dadblamed crossing is smack over the benchwork, with no way to mount any kind of actuator, Turtle, manual or otherwise! :( Then about the only thing you can do is put the flashers next to the crossing. ...

That won't be too much of an issue for me, there are no gates - only the flashing lights. And it doesn't represent a heavily=traveled road either, but rather a formerly prosperous small town whose main road traffic was diverted away by an off-layout Interstate.:D

I do have similar clearance problems with some of my main line turnouts, making it dang near impossible to mount Tortoises underneath. One of these is directly over a junction point of supporting 2x4's. Need to rig up some type of cable-in-a-tube contraption to move the point rails.
 
I do have similar clearance problems with some of my main line turnouts, making it dang near impossible to mount Tortoises underneath. One of these is directly over a junction point of supporting 2x4's. Need to rig up some type of cable-in-a-tube contraption to move the point rails.

Have you thought about using the tortoise remote mounts that Circuitron makes? They actually work really well. Not sure of how your turnout is oriented above the 2x4s, but the remote mount actuator requires quite a bit less space than the tortoise itself, which now operates the turnout... well, remotely :D

I just ended up installing a couple of them on my layout, where the turnouts were too close to the edge and there was not enough room for a tortoise underneath, and they work great.
 
Infrared Crossing Sensor/Flasher

You're welcome to visit my web-page, www.railroadmicro.com and consider my flasher kit. It's a real build-it-yourself kit at a mere fraction of the price of others while quite likely outperforming them. Other similarly priced kits are waiting in the wings, including block detector systems and crossing gate/flasher systems. When my partner gets off his duff we'll have a whole bunch of LED applications and suggestions along with his LED packages.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top