ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
If they are made in RTR, I use them. As you say, pretty cheap and saves some time. If there are none available already bent, I do bend my own. Grab irons are fairly simple, and I have several jigs I made using a piece of wood with brads for some of those oddly shaped stirrup steps. Locomotive handrails, especially the end ones on hood units, are another thing altogether. I've done it, but it ain't fun.
There are small jigs that can be purchased for bending grabs and some even come as a part of better craftsmen kits. However, these aren't generally suitable for making common drop grabs. And speaking as someone who has, on occasion, made his own, unless you intended to outfit dozens and dozens of pieces of rollingstock with grabs, I really don't regard the monetary savings in making your own as honestly worthwhile. It's a lot easier just to reach into the little bag and pull out a readi-formed one that you absolutely know is going to perfectly match the appearance/shape of every other one you attach.
Most hobbyists today are spending $150-$350 per locomotive and $20-$35 per freight car, so how can one seriously quible about the price of a package of grabs?
At the price of today's stock, Grab irons, railings and such SHOULD be perfect!!!! And included INSTALLED on the piece. Companies want to charge more for what they call detail, they should cowboy up and make the car or engine detailed and RTR.
Most hobbyists today are spending $150-$350 per locomotive and $20-$35 per freight car, so how can one seriously quible about the price of a package of grabs?
The price you pay for the generous amount you get in the package you choose, either the 20 count or the 80 count. It really doesnt make much sense to attempt to make them yourself. Especially given your only spending pennies per locomotive to add grab irons with that kind of cost. Looks like its better to just buy them already made and ready to install.
Some of my old engines no longer have grab iron sets or hand rails available. Fabricating my own is the best alternative. I've tried "bashing" other manufacturers' product to fit with limited success. Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.....