ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hello all and Happy Holidays, I am getting braver thanks to all here!! and have decided to change some couplers, especially since they are broken!! Where can I get a good quality Philips screwdriver to fit the tiny screw such as those used to hold the couplers in on an Atlas engine. Tried some of the local stores here and I did buy some but none are just right. Looked on eBay for some and I did not see any with a small enough screwdriver. As always I appreciate you 100% on the money help, Thanks to all.
You want a set of very small screwdrivers obviously, not just the one you need now as you may need others in future. You want either a jeweller's screwdriver set or one intended for use in computers. I wouldn't bother with hardware stores, try electronics DIY stores like Radio Shack or a computer parts store (espeically one that does repairs).
Also pay the slight extra money for good quality screwdrivers. The one I recommend are WIHA. They will make the difference when working with the tiny screws on locos. http://www.wihatools.com/200seri/266sets.htm
The Slotted & Phillips Precision 7 Pc. Set will meet 99% of your modeling needs and
are available from many stores locally and on-line.
I have a set from Snap-On that I got a few months ago, while pretty pricey, they have the Snap-On lifetime warranty guarantee and if they ever break all I have to do is give them back to the Snap-On guy who comes to the dealership once a week lol. The Snap-On truck has proven to be my new candy store and I have found myself spending quite a bit of money on tools to fill my toolbox in my truck lol. Next on the list is a Air Impact Gun incase I ever need to change a tire on my truck or lend a hand to someone else with a flat. Should go nice with my 12 Gallon Tank and Compressor I just hooked up on the truck lol
But in any case, a small screwdriver set should do the trick for you, and like Pete said, you want a set intended for use in jewelery or computer repairs.
Like Josh said, Snap-on has the best small screwdrivers. I bought a set of them from Snap-on about 45 years ago & I have never wore them out. Since I am into taking Electronics stuff apart for recycling I use these small Philips & Blade screwdrivers all the time & they are still working well.
I got two last Christmas from the wife that were from The Source (ie. Radio Shack here in Canada). One is called the Teeny Turner and the other is a Nexxtech 8 in 1 Ratchet screwdriver. Both come with extra bits (including Philips) and they can both easily fit into a pocket. Inexpensive and very handy. I switched out several pairs of Athearn trucks yesterday and they did the job nicely.