Going from N Scale to HO

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


JHansen

Member
Well, I started this hobby last summer as something to do while staying out of the heat here in Texas. I initially went with N Scale because of the amount of track you can lay in a small area. My wife and I have created a layout section on a hollow-core door that turned out fairly well. She has learned that she loves doing scenery but is a little hampered by the tiny N Scale. I love tinkering with locos and rolling stock and am hampered to an extent by the small size as well. So we are going to change directions, or at least scales, and go HO. What started out as part of one room is going to take up the entire room. I'm probably going to have to ask the government for a bail-out. I can envision a scenario where the kids come home to visit one day and discover that there are model trains running throughout the house. I can hear it now. "It's okay, dad. We found a nice place where they will take good care of you and momma. No, I'm sorry but you can't take the trains."

Since I seldom do anything halfway, I have six locos, thirty-something pieces of rolling stock of various types, Kato UniTrack, Atlas FlexTrack, joiner sections to allow the two to connect, buildings and structures including a working roundhouse, and the list goes on. I even put an ad on the local Craigslist offering to trade for HO Scale stuff. (Anyone within driving distance of Austin, TX get in touch with me.) Oh well, it keeps me off the streets. LOL!

Anyone else going from N to HO? The impression I get is that most who are changing scales are going to N because of the size factor.

Have a great weekend. I have to go see if the paint is dry on the latest section of benchwork.

John
 
I like HO because you can do semi-scale, and generous curves. I also like how I can actually see my trains.

With N scale, theres no semi-scale handrails because they'd break if you looked at them wrong. With HO, you can have semi-scale which means they are close to scale size, but large enough so that it runs without problems (semi scale wheels). Fine scale handrails are also possible with HO.

When you get a little larger, like with O scale, the curves are really tight compared to the engines so they articulate the frame, which makes it look toy-like.
 
John, nothing like a committed model railroader with a wife that likes to do scenery. :) I've always been in HO although I considered N scale when I built my present layout almost three years ago now. It is more difficult to tinker with the smaller gauge engines but that's why they make those funny looking magnifer things you wear on your head. The main reason I stayed with HO was sound. There's some sound available for N scale but a lot more in HO and it generally sounds a lot better just due to speaker size. If you haven't already looked at prices, get prepared for the sticker shock in HO compared to N scale. HO stuff, in general, is more expensive than N scale, and you need a lot more of it, especially if it's going to take over the house. :eek: As long as you have the bankroll, everything you've already learned in N scale will serve you well in HO. One thing you'll find out is little things like curbs and sidewalks that looked fine in N scale will show a lot more warts in HO, so doing scenery is a lot more exacting in the larger scale.
 


The cost thing isn't always true. Sometimes an N scale engine may cost more than the equivalent HO scale engine.
 
That's why I said "in general" :) However, consider the HO Proto 1000 GP-15 at $100 and a Proto N GP-18 at $60. Both have about the same level of detail and are standard DC with a DCC plug. The exact same Union Station kit from Walthers at $54 and the N scale kit at $43, both on sale. I think my premise, in general, holds true.
 
We went and looked at a partially completed 4'X8' HO scale layout today. It was well done but struck my wife and I as being awfully crowded. We've done an about-face and decided to stick with N scale. We prefer a more open Texas Hill Country style of layout with long runs and open spaces. Live and learn.

John
 
Have to admit, I was also drawn to N scale at first, even have some unused turnouts and track sitting at my place, but decided to go with HO because I like the level of detail and size. In my space N scale would have been a much better choice, but I like realistic operation so an industrial switching layout in HO is fine for me. The biggest difficulty is choosing a scale, but once you do stick with it. Your investment in equipment alone is a very serious reason not to change scales this late in the game, unless you have a compelling reason to do so, like moving to a bigger house :)
 
John, smart move to look at an HO layout before jumping. Playing the devil's advocate, 4x8 HO layouts always tend to look crowded because you can see the whole thing unless the modeler added view blocks. You also get the shortest mainline operation unless the track folds over itself, which then makes it look even more crowded. You can take that same 4x8 and cut it so you have two 2x8 pieces. It can run along a shelf on the wall and, with some forced perspective, it can look very open. The main thing is that you double your mainline run without tracks passing over each other. If you have the space, you can make a folded dogbone with two 4x4 "blobs" at each end so you can have continuous running and 22" inch radius curves. A standard 4x8 layout is a very poor representation of how to get the most out your space with HO scale. I wouldn't abandon the HO scale idea without investigating further. You may still decide N scale fits your plans better but first take a look at Lance Minheim's work with small to medium size shelf and peninsula layouts at http://www.lancemindheim.com/.
 
well right now i am doing both,have a 3x10 ho layout that have been working on for two years.to many loco"s to count but had plenty of n scale stuff sitting in the box.so on the front of ho layout i hung a little n scale swicthing operation.runs the length of the ho layout.just started to lay track.just something to tinker with.my main love is ho.
 


I love N scale! due to the state I live in (both Physical and Mental) There is no Basements in which to build a HO or O scale empire unless U give up a spare bedroom or garage.....the house's down here were not built with a MRR in mind! My current Trinity Railway is a 2'x4' switching layout and I'm very happy just have enough room for that! Jim's right on the view blocks.....I got 3 on mine and it really makes the Layout look bigger than it is!
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top