ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Hope i'm posting in the correct forum, I have no idea what this cover is from or what it's used for. I tried google images but couldn't find this, any ideas? It measures 4"
Is it transparent or just painted aluminum. If its transparent I would call it a lense. If it's all painted aluminum it's a cover of some sort.
Thanks
Wayne
Is there any gasket material on the back of it? Any signs of grease stains on the back? I doubt I would have covered anything under pressure because it only has 3 bolt holes, but could have been a grease or electrical cover. I am just guessing, I have no idea.
There is a recessed light bulb in the loco "dash board", like a household 40 or 60 watt bulb, but usually 24 volts. The plate shown mounts over it on short stand offs, leaving a gap all around the edge. When the light is on, it radiates out through the gap all around and shines light across the dashboard. Did I explain that clearly enough? Sometimes I confuse my self.
That sounds plausible.
If it had said 'Boeing' .. I would have said it was in the center of the control yoke from a 707, but I don't think locomotives have a yoke .. LOL.
It would be interesting to discover what model or models of loco it was installed on. It may be quite a vintage piece. Vintage or not it is still a great find and will add something unique to your train room.
I noticed that there are no scratches or other marks around the holes where screw heads would have been holding it in place. Either it would have been mounted from behind say through a hole in an instrument panel with the screws on the back side, or it had a trim ring around it that the screws would have tightened against. Another possibility is it had never been installed. The flaking black paint simply showing the ravages of time and handling.
Years ago, I had to maintain several of the old switchers and a couple of cranes. All the GE's had a dash light like that. The covers themselves varied some but I have seen that particular one before. If I'm able to insert an image here, this is a picture I found of a GE.
Thanks for the input. It's solid aluminum & does look like it's meant to be used as a cover where a light, gauge, etc might go. If any gasket material was required then it was either cleaned or had none. I tried google images using the upload feature but nothing came close.
It's interesting that it says GM locomotives rather than EMD, which may place it back in the 1930's (or maybe not). Historical societies, GM itself (since the sale to Caterpillar might make searches more difficult), museums are your best bet.