Ghosts of the past thunder on!

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


I kinda want to start up something to rebuild a Niagara. The machines still exist and there are boiler pieces scattered throughout. The money is out there but getting it is a little challenging but hey whatever it takes...whatever it takes... so who's in?
 
I'm fortunate that I get to work with real steam locomotives on a regular basis.

Here's a shot of Mt Rainier Scenic's latest project, Polson Logging Company #70.

View attachment 30727

BTW, if you think that photo looks familiar, it probably is. It was featured on the cover of the May 2012 issue of Trains Magazine. (with a slightly different crop)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the seventies my brother worked as a guard in some old industrial buildings (foundry?) in Cicero IL. He mentioned seeing the molds for the monstrous steam locomotive drive wheels sitting in an attic space. I have no idea what type it could have been from (or even if he was correct) but I wonder if there are castings laying around for some of these machines?
 


I kinda want to start up something to rebuild a Niagara. The machines still exist and there are boiler pieces scattered throughout. The money is out there but getting it is a little challenging but hey whatever it takes...whatever it takes... so who's in?



Wish I had the money are knew some rich folk who we could talk into donating some money to have a few steamers rebuilt. I'd like to see a N&W y6b (I don't think one survived the scrapper) and even a Big Boy rebuilt. Though the operating and insurance costs weigh heavy in decisions made to rebuild/restore steamers.

One can dream. But thats why I want to recreate the days of yesteryear on my model railroad.
 
Personally insurance companies are the biggest frauds out there. I'm sure the FBI is working multiple cases with insurance companies, not just "auto" but the medical field as well. You pay out the A$$ for insurance and when something happens "well you see you're not covered here because we found a loophole that makes us not have to pay you anything but we're gonna increase your rates by 200%" My mother is a claims representative so I'm not just getting this information from nowhere lol.

But you know what, insurance companies didn't write the Constitution nor do they have any power over it, so why not rebuild something? The 0-6-0 in Wellington is a NKP 0-6-0 and is actually in pretty good condition to be restored. Again the only problem being is the RR society itself doesn't want to survive or do anything to help promote the society, all they wanna do is turn people away, especially young people like me who can keep the RR going for many many years to come.
 
#32 on the list of things to do when i win that 50 million dollar lotto is to have my own Rock Island R67b 4-8-4 built. the British built a new Pacific a few years back and put it into regular commuter service, but i haven't heard of anyone in North America doing this. i'd love to see a heavy freight locomotive in action, with an actual freight train not passenger excursion, doing it was built to do.
 
I ran into an old man the other day while train spotting and, I tell you what, it was like a flash of the past. Where I spot there's a double track CSX line that runs through where the "Big Four" used to roam. He had all kinds of stories about watching the NYC Niagaras running wild shaking the ground a quarter mile away from the tracks. I must say, I can't tell people how much I wish I were 20 back in the 40's I'd walk right into NYC's railyards and sign right up and work my way straight up into the right seat of a Niagara...

I do plan on rebuilding a fully operational niagara one day...and those who say that the sky is the limit....why is the sky the limit? I don't understand....if the sky is the limit...........why are there footprints on the moon?
 
...Though the operating and insurance costs weigh heavy in decisions made to rebuild/restore steamers.

Talk about expensive!

Several years ago, 2004, a friend and I stopped at the Kentucky Railroad Museum. We were on our way home from a show where we were vendors at in Cincinnati.

While there, we got to talk to one of their volunteers/employees, the VP of the museum, IIRC. If you remember, this is where the 2716, C&O 2-8-4 calls home. While the 2716 was in storage for the foreseeable future, it was in running condition, but close to needing an overhaul.

The V/E stated that due to new, (at the time) FRA regulations, that they wouldn't be able to afford to restore her when the time came. The regulations have added such a level of expense to a restoration that for a relativity small museum like the KRM, the chances of a restoration becomes almost zero.

We also asked about if she would ever be fired back up. He said that since it took $25,000 just to fire her up, he doubted that it ever would be again, no matter what the flue time left on her was. He also said that that figure only included getting her started, and not running her down a rail line.

This may explain why the TVRM at Chattanooga was having to take such a long time in restoring one steamer and esp. the 4501 to operating condition. They have had to meet these new regs, and overhaul them their selves. This IIRC, is the 100th anniversary of the 4501, and there is supposed to be a big party for it at Chattanooga, but the latest reports from some friends there state that she's gonna miss it, if she hasn't already.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top