Getting Started, need thoughts opinions on layout.

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


So I have now upgraded both my Locos to DCC in preparation of getting the track work underway. Got my Zephyr extra in the mail last week, and picked up the two decoders locally. Wanted to make sure I had them working to validate my track work as I go.

Here is my SD60M after the decoder install on the little bit of track I quickly wired up.
145eef8ac35322f5d4c59a4a1c3585bf.jpg




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Very nice engine Niko and I truly do envy you guys who can do electrical stuff, like conversions and so forth. Have to say that your smart validating your track work as you go - that is going to prevent a whole lot of potential work and frustration.
 


I just wish I could get the lights on my SD75m to work, they will all work individually but more than one light won't work at once.... Can't seem to figure it out. I added a DH165AO to replace the DC only board and can only get the drive to work.... This is where my ignorance with DCC and wiring comes in....


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Sooo... I'm super stuck, I cant seem to settle on anything with the layout, maybe im not creative/experienced enough to know what will work, and what exactly I can do with my space to get the most out of it..... So I know I have a 10x10 space to work with, so far I have an L shaped bit of bench work I put together for my starting point (see below).... I just honestly dont know where to go form here. I know I decided HO scale, but now Im thinking im going to run into problems with the era and equipment I have... Any thoughts/opinions/advice? Im just all over the board hahaha and cant land on anything

what I've built:
2015-09-01_1724.png
 
I don't think the foam is noisy ,but I have it screwed down to studs that run every 12-14".

I was told to spot-glue the foam down and set it with screws, then remove the screws as it is possible for vibration to go through the screws and use the wooden board as a 'speaker' increasing noise. IF noise is a problem.

Looks fantastic, great room!

I too am starting from zip and was thinking I'm lost at sea! I have a very large space and am going to start with a small yard to build em in and a loop to run em on, then it will grow as it sees fit! No time limit in this hobby!
 
Sooo... I'm super stuck, I cant seem to settle on anything with the layout, maybe im not creative/experienced enough to know what will work, and what exactly I can do with my space to get the most out of it..... So I know I have a 10x10 space to work with, so far I have an L shaped bit of bench work I put together for my starting point (see below).... I just honestly dont know where to go form here. I know I decided HO scale, but now Im thinking im going to run into problems with the era and equipment I have... Any thoughts/opinions/advice? Im just all over the board hahaha and cant land on anything

what I've built:
View attachment 52006

Looks like an 'Empire' in the waiting!

No way I could settle on any particular era or line! "IT'S ALL GOOD!!!" So I'm 'planning for the worst' and making a 24" minimum main so there will be no doubt about running any of the 'Big Boys'! This has resulted in design changes to the table! I'm going to need a 50 inch wide bench in at least two places to turn the things but that is ok, I have not built it yet!

Rock on Roller! Looking forward to seeing what you decide on!
 
Well most tracks go threw the oldest part of towns. So you can use the old style building in modern era layouts. Plus useing older style buildings you can do the older eras so buy that type and give you time to make up your mind. Plus you can put newer stuff with it see what you like.
 
Niko,

Your first issue is going to be the size of your bench work - that is going to limit you to a point to point or switching layout, if you are sticking with HO Scale that is. If you were to go with N Scale, then that would be another matter entirely.

I know you said that the bench work you have shown is what you have built as a starting point but can you go larger? What area do you have to work in?
 
In HO the tables you have would be a switching layout. Even Nscale would be tight to have continuous running.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top