ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Still going back and forth with a closed layout with a main that circles around like what was mentioned previously, and what I posted previously. I think I should try to come up with at least a couple industries I can put around the layout before getting much further. I'm thinking something like a grain elevator, but beyond that I have no idea. So mostly I've been searching around on structures and industries I could model. I know I'd like to have some sort of a diesel shop in the yard, and maybe something else in the yard.
Outside of that I know I want to make whatever I do modular so moving won't be such a hassle since I don't own the house I'm in right now. So that is the roadblock I have run myself into haha. Plus having some fun wearing some rolling stock haha
One last post about weathering progress on the handful of cars I have so far.
Two blue box ACF Centerflows
Second Centerflow, on this one I'm not sure how I feel about the spill stains, but it's powder so I'll leave it for now ha
A box car I purchased and added graffiti to.
A blue box Santa Fe box I weathered up a little to much...decided to add graffiti, but still need to dullcote it.
And finally, I decided to go ahead and try to weather one of my SD75Ms to match the prototype...realized I didn't have a sooty colored powder so I'm waiting on that now. Also waiting on a Details West super detail kit I ordered.
Steam era mostly boxcars in and out, possibly coal to power the plant . Modern brewery would need covered hoppers in and boxcars out. Possibly a tank car or two occasionally.
About to head out to the hardware store to pick up some materials and get this benchwork going. since I haven't decided between a closed loop or a "out and back" I'm going to put together an L shape for now and try to get the yard laid out.
Anyway, got a little bold the last couple days and decided to start weathering my oldest athearn genesis SD75M. Started with some powders on the roof for some soot and her is an up close attempt at making the top of the cab look a little sunbeaten. Let me know what you think also got in some detail parts I will be adding in due time.
Indeed, Just ordered myself a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra from Micro-Mark which cost me just under $180 shipped. I would have preferred to buy it at the local hobby shop, but I couldn't justify the $60 price difference before shipping is included. I also have some Atlas Code 83 track on hand to get started (though for some reason I still have it in my mind to give N scale a go...).
The one thing I cant decide is if I want to use foam boards on top of the table as a base, or just add roadbed straight on top of the table? Any thoughts/opinions?
Do you also use roadbed on top of the foam? I am thinking for the yard at least this may not be necessary? I purchased some of the woodland scenics foam roadbed and I figured it might be easier to work with if I did go with a foam base.
I am not sure the jury is out on the foam vs plywood discussion. As far as quiet goes, some say that foam is noisy. You can check out this discussion if you like, I know there have been many on this forum as well but I couldn't find them right away:
I find plywood to be the best surface for adhering track and scenery, others like foam. I don't think the foam guys are wrong, but I don't think I am wrong either.
I am not sure the jury is out on the foam vs plywood discussion. As far as quiet goes, some say that foam is noisy. You can check out this discussion if you like, I know there have been many on this forum as well but I couldn't find them right away:
Foam is noisy if it is the base. My open frame modules which are just track on foam are very noisy. The foam acts like a drum head amplifying vibrations. If there is something more rigid under it (like plywood) it isn't any more noisy than anything else.
Thanks for the Input everyone. I probably wont get around to posting for a little while, got some family in town for the next week or so. Maybe I will work on nailing down a layout starting point finally ha. having some benchwork up and being able to visually see what I was planning has been a huge help though.
Well, here are the tables all set up and ready to get going...
Also picked up and airbrush to try my hand at weathering with paint. Tried to add some soot to the top of this SD75m, and this side came out looking good. But made quite the mistake in the other side..... Still thinking how I'm going to correct that. Also need to dull down the cab a bit...