Getting Senile & Forgetful

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Larry

Long Winded Old Fart
I feel like I'm getting older than I am, However that is. I can't hardly write a one line sentence w/out leaving out letters, misspelling words, putting questions/answers on the wrong thread & generally screwing stuff up.
On my bench I lose stuff all the time & have to substitute something to make whatever I'm working on work. Then when I get done w/the project I find the missing item. Then it's too late. I sometimes make 2 or 3 trips in & out of the trainroom trying to remember what it was I was in there for. I measure stuff wrong all the time. "I cut it twice & measure it once".(that's a quote in my local shopping guide for a house contractor). Sometimes when I go to WM I buy an item that I already have in my workshop, usually 2 or 3 of them already. I start on an item, go to lunch, after lunch start on another project & find what I was working on before lunch.
It might have something to do w/Shingles, a Real bad Back & swelling feet & ankles that just started about a month ago. I just keep going like nothing has happened & try not to think of my health problems or my wifes.
If I didn't have my layout to work on everyday I would be in a nut house or nursing home. For about 3 weeks I haven't been able to do anything except stay in the house, but, just recently I've loaded up on PainPills I started fixing all my derelick(sp)locomotives, passenger cars & freight cars.
Don't want any one feeling sorry for me--Period. Just wanted to get that off my chest before someone called the police & said there was a nut on the Forum.:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D
 
Huh! Gee I thought that was normal behavior, at least it is for me. If it wasn't for the edit function I'm afraid no one would be able to decode my messages.
Anyway don't worry yourself about it and be thankful you have a hobby to keep your mind active, some people don't and their memory is gone before they realize they had a problem.
Most people around here just call it a senior's moment. I have a long time friend in the first stages of dementia, a cousin and a brother in law, both who have Alzheimer and do not recognize their own children. All these people would frown on any adult who played with trains, yet having a hobby to keep their minds active might have saved them from their dementia.
It's frustrating but learn to laugh at the silly little mistakes and be happy you know and realize you made one.
Throw the darned pills away they're poison anyway and may be causing you more grief than not.
Just my silly opinion
cheers
Willis
Ain't spell checkers great? :D
 


Larry, as long as you can dress yourself and get your undershorts and pants on in the proper order, you're not that far gone yet...:D
 
Larry, your problem may be nothing more than a vitamin B-12 deficiency. It seems to be a fairly common problem as people age and a lot of medications make it worse. Sadly, many people to do not get adequate treatment for it. Your doctor should be able to help you.
 
Larry,
If you are dealing with Shingles, well, that sort of explains all the rest of it. Me, I'm personally trying to get healthy and working in the train room is better than sittin in front of the TV! I expected to spend 8 hours a day in the train room since I retired, but I got to tell you this past summer, I discovered outdoors and my bicycle and the train room has definitely been empty far more than I ever thought it would.

I got an open house layout tour scheduled the end of this month, so I been working more on the layout. NOTHING gets me more motivated than knowing my club and friends will be coming over on the 30th to see whatsup!

Good luck friend,

Joe Daddy
 
Larry,

Don't worry about it, we're all getting old, just at different stages. I'm 42 and I forget things all the time.

Go see your doctor, and keep playing with trains!
 
I feel like I'm getting older than I am, However that is. I can't hardly write a one line sentence w/out leaving out letters, misspelling words, putting questions/answers on the wrong thread & generally screwing stuff up.
On my bench I lose stuff all the time & have to substitute something to make whatever I'm working on work. Then when I get done w/the project I find the missing item. Then it's too late. I sometimes make 2 or 3 trips in & out of the trainroom trying to remember what it was I was in there for. I measure stuff wrong all the time. "I cut it twice & measure it once".(that's a quote in my local shopping guide for a house contractor). Sometimes when I go to WM I buy an item that I already have in my workshop, usually 2 or 3 of them already. I start on an item, go to lunch, after lunch start on another project & find what I was working on before lunch.
It might have something to do w/Shingles, a Real bad Back & swelling feet & ankles that just started about a month ago. I just keep going like nothing has happened & try not to think of my health problems or my wifes.
If I didn't have my layout to work on everyday I would be in a nut house or nursing home. For about 3 weeks I haven't been able to do anything except stay in the house, but, just recently I've loaded up on PainPills I started fixing all my derelick(sp)locomotives, passenger cars & freight cars.
Don't want any one feeling sorry for me--Period. Just wanted to get that off my chest before someone called the police & said there was a nut on the Forum.:eek::eek::eek::rolleyes::rolleyes::D:D

Go see your doctor Larry, and keep in mind that the older we get, it is normal to loose some short term memory, but our long term memory gets better I'm told. Keep enjoying the hobby.
 
Don't worry about it Dave, just put some sav on it and wrap it up before you go to bed.
It'll straighten out by morning.
Wait... what were we talking about... D'oh!
:D
 


....& have to substitute something to make whatever I'm working on work....

Call me back when you are no longer able to do that. :)

Seriously, you can still solve problems and that is generally more important than remembering where we put something. The older we get, the more we have to remember. Something is bound to slip. You should have seen me hunting for my glasses on Sunday when I set them down for little bit to get a closer look at something I was doing. I couldn't remember where I put them and it was only for a couple of minutes.

But as others have suggested, I'd have a talk with the Doc about the meds. As we get older, our bodies don't metabolize medications the same as they did when we were younger. This could definitely be impacting you.
 
This just in...

News Release

In recognition of the graying of the model railroad community (and the fact that they are becoming the fastest growing market for their product), the makers of Depends are offering a this special run boxcar. Just send in 100 pull tabs from the elastic fasteners of their products send in and wait 4 to 6 weeks (if you can).
Available only in HO and Oh-No! scales:)
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top