Genesis Tsunami

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


cfinchum

Member
Hello, I have some dcc decoders questions. I picked up an Athearn Genesis SD-70ace with tsunami sound. One of the effects is engine shutdown. But i don't see it in the function assignments. I checked the Tsunami cv guide and didn't see anything. Am i missing something? Also Trying to speed match an genesis SD 70 with a Dh165ao decoder and an Sd-45-2 with a Dh123 decoder. One Genesis the Sd-45-2 has a place for a speaker, the Sd-70 does not. Is the sd-70 a older run. does that effect matching speed. does the two different digitrax decoders respond different. Do I need to change the v-start. Has anyone gone thru this and be willing to share some numbers. I hope this all makes sense. Thanks for any info. CF.
 
On the Tsunami, to shut the engine down, press the Emergency Stop button on your DCC throttle. I think this may simply kill the sound, but I'm not sure. I am not aware of a "shut down sequnce" like QSI sound decoders have. I don't use that effect on either system. You might want to go to Soundtraxx's website and download their "Diesel Sound User's Guide" It's free, and at 62 pages long, they aren't packaging them with locomotives or decoders.

For the Athearn engines: Yhe DH 123 & 163 in all their forms should work and play together fine. It's possible motor differences in the two models that will be what you need to compensate for. How well do they run together on DC? That's the question. If the match well in DC adding a decoder should not change anything.
 
Thanks, I have the the Soundtraxx Tsunami manual, I was going by the Athearn dcc quick start guide that came with the loco. It has engine shutdown listed under diesel sound effects, but no function key is listed. Was wondering if this effect comes with tsunami in the genesis already installed or is this only on replacement tsunami decoders. If the genesis with the dh165 ao starts faster than the genesis with dh123, do you adjust the v-start on the slower one or the faster one. I know this is a trial and error thing, was wonder if any one had gone thru this and had some shortcuts. Thanks CF.
 


The OEM Soundtraxx Tsunamis are somewhat stripped down, They are sometimes called "Psuedo-namis" by modelers. :D What you might not get are all of the whistle selections, or all of the horn selections, and you might not get some other features, but nobody seems to know which ones. For this reason I generally buy my Athearns DCC ready and add my own Tsunami later (plus it's a little easier on the wallet :D).

In consisting, I generally match to the slower loco. You almost have to, as it's speed range is what will in the end dictate the consist speed.

There are no shortcuts (wish there were!) you have to try and try again, and test them on the layout as you go.
 
Ok. I thought about adding the fx soundbug to the digitrax ah165ao and and replaceing the dh123 decoders in the other two athearns I have. But then you need to buy their ps3 to download the sounds. The tsunami's sound great, but seem to cost so much more. This is a work in progress and a learning experence for me, so thanks for info. CF.
 
No problem. I have no experience with the Soundbug, but I can tell you that the Tsunami sound is much truer to prototype (if this matters to you...some just want sound, accurate or not) The Tsunami also has much more in the way of features than the Soundbug, and you get what you pay for ;)
 
An option for speed matching the Tsunami sound-equipped locos is to use the Soundtraxx non-sound mobile decoders.

For shutting down a sound Tsunami, use the Emergency Stop button on your throttle, unless you've set manual notching, and then it is F10.
 
Perhaps the SD70ace shut down is like the prototype fuel saver mode. After so many minutes of idling and various paramiters are met, the unit (1:1 unit) shuts down. Will restart if rerverser lever moved, battery voltage, air press, etc require restart.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top