ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
[FONT="]I plan on starting with a yard and building off of that. Working for CP, I'd like to use one of the smaller yards we service. My questions for helping get this yard started are what type of switches (#5, #6 etc.) would be best for this application. I'm looking at Peco and Micro Engineering. Specifically at the lead switches (or ladder as I was informed) for the yard tracks. Second bit of advice I'm looking for is I've been told homasote is good product, but not available where I live. Looking for alternatives, and success stories.
[/FONT]
-
wilkie.jpg
159.5 KB
· Views: 300
I guess it really boils down to how much room you can afford the yard . The higher the frog number , the gentler the transition and the more realistic looking , but also the more real estate it will use up . Yards are probably the most forgiving area to use tighter turnouts though and many do just to keep size down. I have homasote on my layout and love it . I got it many years ago though . Lots of people use the blue or pink foam and glue the roadbed and track to that with good results , although from what I understand those products are harder to find on the west coast .
Well-Known Member
Staff member
Homasote, or similar sound insulating boards,(try a product search for that) are a soft board product that is made up of coarse plant fibres, pressed together with glue. Where I am in Queensland they use Sugar Cane from the Sugar refining industry. It's also used a lot for notice boards (painted surface) where you pin notices etc to. It's ideal, as it takes pins and track nails easily, they hold well, but also pull out if necessary and reduces noise, easy to cut.
You did not state how large in square footage your pike will be. IF it is 32 square feet, i.e. 4 x 8, then I would suggest running a # 4 ladder. It is the best use of the space. If you need it .... here is your track planning guide from Atlas ....
I know, ancient history, but I am an old timer, and I am sharing with you the things you need to know ... print this .jpg out and keep it for reference.
Enjoy!
The Aerojet
I had 500sq feet to cover and went with MDF 1/2 inch, don't regret it, it takes track nails and glue equally well for me and it's a good base to build from.
My questions for helping get this yard started are what type of switches (#5, #6 etc.) would be best for this application. I'm looking at Peco and Micro Engineering. Specifically at the lead switches (or ladder as I was informed) for the yard tracks.
In general the larger the better as far as looks and operation but space is usually a constraining factor. I have only been to one place (in HO scale) that had enough room to do a standard ladder with #8 turnouts. I would never recommend true #4s, they are just to tight. If you are N-scale #7s might be a consideration.
Appreciate the input. #6 seems to be the common denominator. I'm hung up on either Peco or Micro Engineering for quality of turnout that is more derail resistant. Also just to note for the record, this schematic is from work and I realize that in HO size it would be ridiculously large!
I think I may have been thru that yard, love the way the switches are laid out!
I'd recommend going with the Peco turnouts for both their performance and being a little more rugged than the ME in my experience.
I went with #6's in my yard and mixed Peco and Atlas switches.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)