ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
For the CP fans.
Pics taken this evening at the local yard. Alas no MLW or Alco to be seen


A few Baldwin and one C-Liner hidden between flat cars and too far for good pictures..
.
.
.
..and a mix of modern and not so modern units
.
.
.
Nice shot of 3084! Never knew they had that unit.
Yeah, is the 3084 a heritage type unit? I've never seen it before either. Those executive F units sure look mighty fine. The all red scheme is boring. I don't know why railroads have to change attractive schemes to boring ones all the time.

Nice shots though, thanks for posting them.
Great pics MLW, thanks for sharing.
Jim, it is way cheaper to paint a unit all red then to mask and paint two or more colours plus add stripes. It is really nice to see KCS bucking the boring paint trend with their beautiful "southern belle" scheme, and on freight cars too! With the recent focus advertising rail transportation to the public by NS and CSX, maybe more of the flashy paint schemes will return. We can only hope I guess!
As for the 3084, it is not a heritage unit in the sense the UP SD70ACe's are. It was painted like that to match the FP's that pull the Royal Canadian passenger train as the original FP set 1400 and 1401 did not have dynamic brakes, so the GP38-2 was used when dynamic brakes where needed. 3084 and a red GP38-2 pulled the Royal Canadian while the newer FP's (4106 and 4107) were being shopped. I'm sure the 3084 will be kept in that paint for a while as backup power. I'd love to see CP paint some new stuff in that scheme, it is my favourite CP scheme!
My neighbour works in the paint shop at Ogden shops, not far from where those shots were taken. He says that the red paint that cp uses is extrodinarily expensive, that is why they are so slow repainting their older AC4400's!
Fred, I know single colors are less labor intensive but, as CPCalgary said, it seems like that deep red must take a lot prep and priming time to get them looking good and have durable paint. It's hard to imagine the 3084's paint scheme being much more expensive and it sure would look better. Thanks for the info on why it was created. Looks like the new FP set does have dynamics but I hope the 3084 may be a harbinger of things to come in CP paint schemes. At least bring back the beaver.

Sweet pics, thanx for posting!
Where are they loacted, I've been to most CP yards and this looks familiar?
A gallon of good automotive grade paint can cost $200-$350 a gallon. I would think you need at least 5-7 gallons to do a solid color with 2 coats? thats alot of paint
Sweet pics, thanx for posting!
Where are they loacted, I've been to most CP yards and this looks familiar?
That is Aylth, in Calgary.
That is Aylth, in Calgary.
Ah, thanx.
I have a pic of the Baldwin here somwehere... I think it was in kind of a burgundy paint.
There was an RDC sitting there as well, I was trying to take that one home.
Thanks guys. I have taken pics of CN and CP from coast to coast. Including
the great Rail Museum in St-Constant ( a must see)
And sometimes it's a question of being in the right place, at the right time, with the right people

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Will post more when time permits.
.
I’ve noticed that the air intake grills on the 4106 and 4107 are not the same. Are these different EMD F models? I also noticed that the 4106 has two fill caps while the 4107 has one. I guess for the 4106, one would be for fuel and the other for boiler water but I see no steam connector on either loco. I thought the muffler atop the 4107 roof maybe for the steam generator exhaust but without a steam connector it must be for something else. The third thing I noticed is that there’s no MU cables above the rear doors. Are they located some where else or are these just two single locos coupled for another reason?
NYC_George
George, those are both FP-9's. The difference is the 4107 had a Head End Power generator added at some time in the past. The exhaust is for the HEP unit. You can see part of the Hep generator through the open door. No steam gnerator so no need for a water fill. The intake grills for the 4107 are automatically actuated by a noise control sensor. The grills will close if the temps of the main engine and HEP unit are OK and open to admit more air if it's needed. Reduces the overall noise signature, especially of the HEP, which is pretty noisy under full load. The 4106 has the standard Farr Air grills, which just keeps out the bugs and most of the dust.

I don't think the CP has any passenger cars that still use steam so the 4106's water fill spout is still in place but it doesn't go anywhere. I don't know if the steam generator has been removed or is just deactivated. It's also possible that the 4106 has a HEP unit but we can't see the muffler and exhaust because of the photo angle. I know the CN has a steam generator car mad from an F B unit body if they have a consist that needs steam but I haven't seen one for the CP.
MLW, feel free to correct me if any of the above is wrong since you know a lot more about the CP than I do. Nice interior cab shot. I didn't realize they were using glass cockpit type instumentation. Did you happen to catch the manufacturers name? My brother worked for Honeywell in aircraft instumentation and I know they were doing some work for GE on glass panel instrumentation for locomotives also when he retired.
Really nice pics!! thanks for sharing with us!!
Johnny B

..and sometimes it just somehting in the distance that's interesting from the point of view of Canadiana RR and weathering.
.
.
.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)