ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Sorry if this is such a dumb question but why does the sliding rail on flextrack always have to be to the inside of the curve (closest to the the center of the layout?
I looked at it and looked at it and im either blind or dumb on why this is suppose to be this way, it doesnt really seam any different with the sliding rail the other way.
With the sliding rail on the inside the ties slide closer together. It looks better.
With the sliding rail on the outside the ties separate and might cause a stability or gauge issues on tight curves. I don't think the ties look as good.
If you bank your curves you can pre glue your “lifts” you the non sliding rail ties and not mess with it as you put down the track.
I have switched them to go either way as it seems to work best in a given situation, and have found no problems. I do run the sliding rail at least four ties deep into the next length of flex, though, and I do force-bend the last couple of inches on each length of flex on a curve so that they permanently retain a bit of a curve. I also use a jeweler's saw to cut metal joiners in half, and then each half in half. I use those, soldered at the narrow spaces between the sliding rail ends on curves when the sliding rail is on the inside. It is more work, but neater, functional, and effective so that I don't have to remove/break off ties and slide others into place.
It does not have to be. In fact I know some people who put it on the outside so the rail has more "give" (side to side motion) when a large wheel base locomotive goes crashing into it. I put it on the inside because as an earlier poster noted the way the ties space out look better to me. Then finally when laying the rail, the inside rail has to move more to make the curve. It is therefore logical to put the one that slides easier in that position.
Isn't there someone who makes flex track where the plastic ties are connected on alternating sides? So that the tie spacing is consistent throughout the section of flex?
Also the original idea of flex track was to cut the excess rail even with the other to match up to sectional rail. This was for cases where one piece was used in conjunction with sectional.