CustomDave
New Member
I am wanting to do a HO scale layout. I have been reading constantly on here over the past week or so trying to learn and see what others have done. I was going to do a basic 4x8 plywood layout, but the one thing I have learned is that it won't keep me happy for long. I want to be able to expand to something with bigger curves etc.
What I am thinking is creating the benchwork and getting one main constant line running. This would probably help me do away with the bug I have to get something going. Also with my daughter only being 3, it would be easier for her to run. I wouldn't do much scenery except in parts that I know would not be expanded with more rails etc. Leaving a lot of it just the bare bench and building it up as time allows. I need the bigger radius curves so that I can run bigger steam locomotives. Right now I feel overwhelmed with track plans. For right now I think I would like it to be a more rural route and expand to an industrial area as my skill level increases, this would also save some money on turnouts and such for the time being.
The room I am working in is also where the furnace and water heater are in the basement. It's not overly hot or humid, so I think I am ok there, it just gives me an odd shape to work with. I have 2 walls cleared that I can use. One wall is 14' long, the other is 12' long. Can someone give me some ideas on how I can get started on this? I want to do it all right, and not have something that I have to tear apart again in a few months, but I would like to get at least a train up and going. There is an adjoining room off of the 12' wall that I could cut holes through the wall and run tracks into for a staging area at some point as well. That room is 12' x 10'
Thanks for any help. Like I said, just want to get something started.
What I am thinking is creating the benchwork and getting one main constant line running. This would probably help me do away with the bug I have to get something going. Also with my daughter only being 3, it would be easier for her to run. I wouldn't do much scenery except in parts that I know would not be expanded with more rails etc. Leaving a lot of it just the bare bench and building it up as time allows. I need the bigger radius curves so that I can run bigger steam locomotives. Right now I feel overwhelmed with track plans. For right now I think I would like it to be a more rural route and expand to an industrial area as my skill level increases, this would also save some money on turnouts and such for the time being.
The room I am working in is also where the furnace and water heater are in the basement. It's not overly hot or humid, so I think I am ok there, it just gives me an odd shape to work with. I have 2 walls cleared that I can use. One wall is 14' long, the other is 12' long. Can someone give me some ideas on how I can get started on this? I want to do it all right, and not have something that I have to tear apart again in a few months, but I would like to get at least a train up and going. There is an adjoining room off of the 12' wall that I could cut holes through the wall and run tracks into for a staging area at some point as well. That room is 12' x 10'
Thanks for any help. Like I said, just want to get something started.
