First time weather, how did I do?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Davidfd85

Member
So I was going through some other sites and found a contest for a weathered flatcar with load. I figured what the heck I've wanted to try weathering, have some Bragdon powders so this is what I did today. I took the trucks, wheels and couplers off and hit them with some Dulcoate then started working with the powders. At first I put the powder on then hit with more dulcoate but it seemed to wash it away so I just stuck with powder only, the package says it will stay in place without the dulcoate. I've got a couple of months to finish two cars and the loads not due until 1/13 so I can try other things if I need to but for now just let me have it and tell me what y'all think of my first time trying weathering.
 
I echo the above - looks great. Try to find a prototype pic of one of these flats and look at the detail around the tie-downs. An experienced modeler told me to always make sure to look at a picture because our recollection isn't as clear as a picture. You might be able to enhance what you have based on what you see.

It really looks great!

This image I found doing a google image search for "depressed center flatcar"
qttx130732-09-23-10-mt.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I find that weathering powders leave a really dusty look, and a coat of thinned black (or even just something like dullcote) tones it down nicely. I apply mine with alcohol and thinned Elmer's glue.

My first attempt looked like it'd lost a fight with a swamp creature. Yours looks a whole lot better. :D
 
By Crikey sport! Looks bonza. Come and do mine now, I haven't gotten within cooee of them yet.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top