PaulB
Member
Hmm, nobody else wants to comment.
Wow! That design looks good. I hope it isn't too ambition for a first attempt. What is the minum radius that you are using? Also what is the smallest point (turnout)?
I think the RIP track would be better if it came off the yard lead (headshunt). You want to be able to drop or pick up cars there without having to move stuff out of the intermodal siding.
There is one small industry that would require moving cars from another to access it. You could stick with it as sometimes industries in confind places had to do things like that. Or think about another way to arrange the small industry sidings.
The steel works would be way too big for this layout. I see two solutions. One, have it off table with transfer yard only. Two, go for a modern 'mini mill'.
Steel mini mills are based around an electric furnace and a rolling mill. They are very small (by steel works standards). They use scrap metal and electricity to make steel. Covered hoppers of limestone and metal additives are needed in smaller quantities. You still get slag and dust coming out. So not iron ore or coal needed (the coal goes to the power station instead).
Walthers makes an electric furnace kit:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3056
and rolling mill:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2971
These two might be placed next to each other. The rolling mill has soaking pits for ingots but maybe a continuious caster would be more approriate these days? This site helps explain all about the steel industry:
http://www.steeluniversity.org/content/html/eng/default.asp?catid=1&pageid=1016899460
I hope I haven't overloaded you with information.
Wow! That design looks good. I hope it isn't too ambition for a first attempt. What is the minum radius that you are using? Also what is the smallest point (turnout)?
I think the RIP track would be better if it came off the yard lead (headshunt). You want to be able to drop or pick up cars there without having to move stuff out of the intermodal siding.
There is one small industry that would require moving cars from another to access it. You could stick with it as sometimes industries in confind places had to do things like that. Or think about another way to arrange the small industry sidings.
The steel works would be way too big for this layout. I see two solutions. One, have it off table with transfer yard only. Two, go for a modern 'mini mill'.
Steel mini mills are based around an electric furnace and a rolling mill. They are very small (by steel works standards). They use scrap metal and electricity to make steel. Covered hoppers of limestone and metal additives are needed in smaller quantities. You still get slag and dust coming out. So not iron ore or coal needed (the coal goes to the power station instead).
Walthers makes an electric furnace kit:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-3056
and rolling mill:
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/933-2971
These two might be placed next to each other. The rolling mill has soaking pits for ingots but maybe a continuious caster would be more approriate these days? This site helps explain all about the steel industry:
http://www.steeluniversity.org/content/html/eng/default.asp?catid=1&pageid=1016899460
I hope I haven't overloaded you with information.







