First layout

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


nucleargary

New Member
So I am starting my first layout. My Uncle and Grandfather used to be into the hobby when I was a kid, and I've been thinking a lot about it for the last few months. Its been really interesting learning all the techniques. I'm doing a basic 4x8 HO layout with a 2x8 "L" offshoot for a yard. Space constraints don't allow me to go any bigger since my wife won't give up her side of the garage. I would love to have a huge room-sized layout eventually, but I am going to keep this one simple and use it a learning tool. I get a lot of my supplies free from work so I can build this one without breaking the bank.
I started out by going to a swap meet and buying a bunch of used track, rolling stock, and a few cheap locomotives. As I go along I will upgrade to higher quality items. I started this HO scale layout in March and here are a few pictures of my progress.

----Note: I used my wife's fancy expensive camera and apparently I take horrible pictures. Her words, not mine. :o
Also: none of the track in the pics are going to be used on the layout. They are only for planning purposes. Need to get some flextrack.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the hobby.
You will likely have a problem when you finish your yard area.
What you are in the process of creating is a Wye where you can enter the yard from either direction. That creates a short circuit condition. This can be fixed with a reversing circuit or module but I'd advise you remove one of the 2 tracks until you get your feet wet.
 


Yea, the yard is still a work in progress. I am still playing around with it. I can't do too much with the limited space i have. I do have a few more feet towards the garage door that I can add on on if I need to.
 
Very nice. And I see that by elevating the benchwork, you were still able to park your Smart car underneath.
 
Well it looks like you are off to a good start.
Your way ahead of me anyways.
Keep us posted with your progress.
​
 
Update:
I tore apart the layout and rebuilt the benchwork. It no longer has a 4'x8' section, instead I cut that part in half and most of the layout is about 2' wide all the way around. I know it seems narrow, but with the space consideration and the fact that I want to run longer trains I think it will work out ok. Plus the whole layout looks larger in general.
I am still deciding if want to get a DCC system for this layout. Is it worth it for a smaller layout like mine? I will probaly only run 1 or 2 trains at a time.
I will post some pics when I get home later.
 


Let's see some pics of the new benchwork. You can pick up a nice NCE DCC system for less than $150. It's an all in one system with the throttle.

That way you can run sound and control lights on your locos. Of course, you'll have to have decoders in your locos.
 
Here are a few photos. The benchwork is extremely simple yet very strong. I stood on top of it and it barely even wiggled. I still have to build a little piece where the gap is. There is going to be a bridge on hinges where the walkway will be. The track as it is shown is not the final layout, I was just doing some measurements. The curves will be no tighter than 22". I will be putting a backdrop all around the outside edges except for near the aisle.
I do have a DCC ready loco (Athearn SD50) but I need to get a decoder still.
Total size is 8'x12'
 
I like that better than the first layout...

As for DCC, I've got a 4x8 and am seriously considering switching over to DCC. Most of my locos are older and not DCC-ready, so there's a fair investment on my part if I go that way. The reason I'm thinking of it is that I'm tired of controlling the blocks.

Dean P.
 
...I am still deciding if want to get a DCC system for this layout. Is it worth it for a smaller layout like mine? I will probaly only run 1 or 2 trains at a time.

As for DCC, I've got a 4x8 and am seriously considering switching over to DCC.

My 02c; Go DCC..... Putting aside the much simpler wiring it's simply more *fun*!

Discovering DCC was the primary reason the "little loop of track added to my slot car track" morphed into the "monster" it is today [In my head anyway!]

Your choice between NCE & Digitrax - Local availability? Other users nearby? Your own research?.... Are you "computer literate"? - JMRI is an almost essential addition IMHO - Again, it increases the fun level.

Cheers,
Ian
PS - Nice looking benchwork btw :)
 
Thanks for the kind words and encouragment guys. I would like to have a small yard somewhere on the layout but I am not sure where I should have it or if I even have room for one. The main line is only going to be single track so I am sure I can cram one in somewhere. Still playing around with the track to find something that works.
I am thinking about going with a logging theme. Maybe have an area where some crews are logging and loading and then a paper mill or sawmill on the other side of the layout near a small, rural town. I might have a few other small industrial spurs as well. I grew up in western Washington State so I am familiar with the logging industry. I havent decided on a time period yet.
I am very open for suggestions on anything.
 
You might take a Google at the Heart of Georgia (HOG) layout for an interesting and easily modifiable "beginners" trackplan. There is (was?) a Yahoo discussion group dedicated to the HOG also.
 
Here are a few photos. The benchwork is extremely simple yet very strong. I stood on top of it and it barely even wiggled. I still have to build a little piece where the gap is. There is going to be a bridge on hinges where the walkway will be. The track as it is shown is not the final layout, I was just doing some measurements. The curves will be no tighter than 22". I will be putting a backdrop all around the outside edges except for near the aisle.
I do have a DCC ready loco (Athearn SD50) but I need to get a decoder still.
Total size is 8'x12'

I like the loco picture :D
 
So I spent a little while on the layout just kinda playing around with some old sectional track. I think I have the basic track plan I want. I'm going to go with mostly a modern era logging/paper/timber industry. It's got a single track mainline with a local line that is going to have a small yard and a sawmill or pulp mill further down. The end of the local line will be a log loading area. I'm still thinking about if I want to have a removable bridge across the walkway or just some track/scenery on hinges. Anyone notice any potential operation problems with the track plan? I might play around with it a little more.
 
I like it. Clean lines, simple design. Very good for a first layout.

Your gateway might cause you some issue, depending on how wide\long it is. I used the full 2' width of the table to add stability to the track setup. Mine, due to the 2 breaks (on on each side of the opening), will be powered with its independent wiring.

I might just do a removable 2' bridge across the gap. I have to figure out how to power the track so that I dont have to plug/unplug anything whenever I remove it to walk through.
 


I added a few triangular peices to the inside corners to make it look a little smoother.
I am also wondering if I should slightly elevate the tracks leading up to the bridge, to kind of give the perception of height.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top