First Layout Questions

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


r6racer

New Member
This is my first attempt at a layout. My son and I have been playing with temporary track set ups for 2-3 years now and we decided to try a small N-scale, 33x54. We are going to have a small 5"bridge going over a water way. I was planning on cutting out the waterway and dropping it down since there will not really be any other area of elevation change. Maybe a tunnel at the top. Trying to keep it simple for our first attempt. OR should I add foam to the top of the deck? I've done a lot of reading here and taken away as much as I can but I was hoping to get some direct opinions on what we are planning.

Also, how bad (unrealistic) is is to have the crossover on the bridge? I can't figure out where else to place it with our size limitations.

Thanks for any help.
ry%3D480
 
Once you get into some railway history, you'll find that anything you can think of has been at least engineered if not rejected because of some other soluton, and in almost every case it was actually done. I have been in the cab of a tank steamer that went over a small wooden bridge with a turnout in the middle of it. The frog was smack-dab in the middle of the bridge.

So, if it works well for you, bridges only allow a continuance of the right of way. What you put on the right of way is up to you...the boss.
 
Also, how bad (unrealistic) is is to have the crossover on the bridge?
Not unrealistic at all. This one is on the Denver Terminal Railroad over the South Platte River. Is is not obscure track but heavily used. Straight toward the camera is the main lead to Union Station. The track to the right (east) is the BNSF 23rd street yard To the top is the BNSF intermodal yard, the D&RGW (UP) North Yard, and Utah Junction. I am told at one time it was double track across this bridge where the vehicle service road now is.

Anyone else see something else unusual about the turnout?
turnoutonbridge.JPG
 
Last edited by a moderator:


I guess you are referring to the switch-stand/indicator being on the outside of the turnout, 'cause it wouldn't have been in that position when double tracked. Guess it was moved for easier access from the service road.
 
To r6racer; Looks an excellent plan to me, you've given the basic oval a bit of a more interesting shape, and used the available internal space very intelligently. I like the placing of the station. If you can afford to go DCC, you'll increase the enjoyment for both yourself and your son because of the extra train action you'll be able to generate, even in the space you have. Good job.
 
Thank you for the feedback guys. Does anyone have a compelling argument "to" or "not to" use a piece of foam on top of the base for the track?
 
Thank you for the feedback guys. Does anyone have a compelling argument "to" or "not to" use a piece of foam on top of the base for the track?
To - is that it makes it really easy to do the below grade river cut.
Not To - is if you are using under layout turnout motors it can be a real difficult to get the motor action up to the turnout points.
 
I guess you are referring to the switch-stand/indicator being on the outside of the turnout, 'cause it wouldn't have been in that position when double tracked. Guess it was moved for easier access from the service road.
Good eyes, but that is not what I was looking at. There was a derailment on this bridge about a year before this photo was taken it was rebuilt at that time. They could have put the switch stand anywhere they wanted during the rebuild.
What I was noticing was the almost continual constant curve of the diverging track. There is only the tinyest straight section directly through the frog. Other than that it looks like a European or Lionel turnout. Not the traditional North American numbered turnout template we are so used to #4, #6, #8, etc.
 
Horseman- Thanks for the info. I see you are in CO. My family just returned from there March 1 where we tried to see some of the railyards. Wish I knew more about the area to see more. My brother-in-laws new office off of Wynkoop views from Union Station all the way around to Coors Field.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Just thinking about that turnout, I guess that proves that even prototypes use a bit of "selective compression" at times, maybe they wanted to maintain the curve as much as possible.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top