ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I use drywall compund to join them.
Soap and water and vigerous scrubbing / twisting will clean the molds.
Try soaking for an hour before hand.
Thanks Rick!! Just got them washed with Quick Age. they look so much nicer now.
Molds
Make sure you use a release agent like water with a drop of soap or alchohol. this will prevent the casting from sticking to the mold. Looking good.
Roy
Roy, thank you for that, I'll try it tonight.
Make sure you use a release agent like water with a drop of soap or alchohol. this will prevent the casting from sticking to the mold. Looking good.
Roy
Thanx Roy, I forgot to mention that little tidbit!
I do that and get it into all the nooks and cranies (especially the cranies) with a soft brush. Makes the rock come out much better.
Are you guy's using plaster or hydrocal to make the castings? If plaster is the detail as good?
I use plaster of paris. Just make sure you jiggle the mould to ensure that any bubbles in the casting medium get out.
Roy
A lot of good info guys, adding rock castings does add a lot to your layout.
I've always used Hydrocal and made the mixture on the soupy side, using a slim semi-stiff brush to ensure the the plaster gets into the nooks & crannies is a very good idea too.
There is still a couple of other tricks yet you guys can try that I've used. Sorry for not having any castings to display at present.
1st. You don't have to by ready made molds, you can make your own by purchasing some liquid latex and after cleaning the surface of a rock or portion thereof you want to make a mold of you can. Also molds don't have to be thick and or stiff. Some very interesting designs can be obtained by overlapping over rock castings even if only on the edge. Also the same mold can be rotated at whatever angle you like to give a different effect, as long as it will look believable.
I often create a generally shaped hillside from crumpled heavy paper shopping bags that I've somewhat flattened out and attached to the cardbord webbing used to form the general shape I want and then mix up a soupy batch of hydrocal and paint it over the paper bags to form a thin hard shell. Then I also take some of the same soupy mixture and pour it in the mold I have and let it just start to set-up where it isn't runny any more and then after wetting the area I want to apply it to with some water and a couple of drops of dish soap I lay the still wet mold against the hillside and hold it there for thirty to forty-five seconds to allow it to adhere good and then let it set for about another minute before pealing off the flexible rubber mold to show the casting perfectly conforming to the irregular shaped hill side in a very natural fashion. The same process can be repeated with the same mold of if you made others you can add some variation and don't forget to leave some open space here and there for dirt to show up.
Often along the road there will be a cut through a rocky area and often you can find some very interesting rock surfaces to make a mold from.
HTH
Anyone besides me having trouble breaking the rocks when removing them from the molds? I can't win....
Jony, sounds like a weak mix/old plaster. Try another batch of plaster, thicker mix, let it cure a little longer. Mold release will also help. It doesn't have to be the good stuff, I've made decent castings from hardware store Fix-All patching plaster.
If it's a large or thin section you might try sinking some screen or wood scraps or something in the plaster to give it a little strength, but make sure whatever you use doesn't touch the mold or it'll make the casting look funny.
I'll try it thicker. I rubbed in some Dawn before pouring in the plaster to keep the molds from sticking when dry. Think that may have something to do with it?
I am. Mine isn't setting up all the way. It stays kinda soft then breaks up coming out the mold. I never knew to spray it down with water mixed with detergent first so that may be my problem. Could it be the powder paint I am mixing it with as well?
Jeff
It could be the powder paint thats causing you problems, try doing a casting without the paint.
Ron
flex the molds slightly over a trash can... the hydrocal should pop out.
You can superglue the casting on the inside of the break... just keep it away from the exterior face of the casting.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)