Feb 15 Week(end) Photo fun

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


painted this truck trailer black today after taking the thick plastic tesco stickers off, it was only £1.99 at the local Tesco store, so i bought the lot, all two of them, they'll be hauling diesel oil
10-08-07101-3.jpg


10-08-07104.jpg
 
Nice work everyone, as always. I look forward to this thread every week.

I have been trying to finish the silo and other buildings for the farm scene at the top of the hill. As of early afternoon I finally had the roofs on the silo done, so I am test fitting the barn and the silo. (Note: the silo is not yet attached to the barn and there will be a "concrete slab" that the silo and silo house will sit on. The barn will set down into the scene a bit as I will cut out the plaster cloth where the barn sits so it will rest on a perfectly level base.)

CowBarn9w.png


From the "other side of the mountain":

CowBarn8w.png


I have also been putting together the farm house as time permits. I have just put in some "rooms" and the lighting that will be in the house. There will be a light for part of the downstairs, and in one bedroom upstairs. Next will be the rest of the porch, roof, and other details.

CowBarn7a.png
 
Nice work everyone. I love that Alco Bob, just the way I like 'em :D

I've been busy helping a friend move this weekend and watching the races in Daytona. Go Dale Jr!!

Here are a couple shots of the VIA Rail P42DC model I finished earlier this week.

fab-VIA920-021308a.jpg


fab-VIA920-021308b.jpg
 


MRL's Laurel to Missoula making the summit at Muir, Montana as it heads into the Bozeman Tunnel in early July.
IMG_3401.png


Okay I took this last week and I really have nothing this week. I did get out the old airbrush and weather a lot of my rollingstock with grey to fade the paint. They all came out really good, but no photos of them to show.
 
Steve,

You're gonna hate me, but I've picked up those tractor-trailer combos at a local chain store named "The Dollar Store" - because everything in it is only a dollar.

That's what, 3 schillings at the current exchange rate? :)

As long as I'm here, I might as well show off my motive power fleet - all Atlas:

IMG_2832.sized.jpg

IMG_2837.sized.jpg


From left to right:
Trainman GP38-2 BN #2150 consisted with Master GP40 BN #3508
Master GP38 ATSF #3501 consisted with Master GP38 ATSF no# (eventually to be WPRR #2312)
C425 SP&S #315
Master GP38 WPRR #2314 consisted with Master GP40 HLCX #4408
Gold Master MP15DC WPRR #45 consisted with Silver Master MP15DC GWRR #46
Pre-DCC GP40 SP #3059
 
Last edited by a moderator:
This is my favorite thread of the week, great shots all.

Here is mine. I tried another night shot, this time with a passing train. As the train approached it illuminated the front of the stopped SD70MAC. The strobes on the passing MRL units left little orange UFO looking things in the sky. After the head end passed the engineer in the MAC turned on his lights and illuminated the passing train.
nt2.jpg
 


Nice looking oil terminal, Steve. It has just the right disreputable look with those oil tanks having the peeling paint.

Bob, nice modeling on theat Alco being dsmantled and great photography as usual. I think the guy in your second photo is just one of the hazardous waste crew they called in when someone finally realized how much asbestos there was in those old engines. :)

Ray, your farm is developing nicely. The farm house looks like it will be a beauty when it's done. Not being a farmer or knowing a darn thing about silos, what is the purpose of the vent at the top of the silo?

Fred, I'm not much of a fan of those shovel nose engines but that VIA paint scheme actually makes it look pretty nice. Looks like a challenging paint and decal job.

Josh, you just love those big BNSF units, don't you? Since I'm too lazy to look it up, what are the dimensional difference between that engine and an E-7? E-7's run fine on my curves and I might one of those big guys just for something different.

Jerome, you should go into the accident reconstruction business with some lawyers. They are always looking for three dimension models when examining wreck causes and you seem have destruction down pretty good. :D

Jeff, looks like you have plenty of motive power to handle the yard and trains. Let's see, in my four track yard, I could get about 8 freight cars, my 70 tonner, and maybe a few Geeps and U-Boats. Woudn't look very impressive. I never seem to able to find those trucks at the dollar stores down here although there always seem to be plenty of 1:50 NASCAR items.

Paul, nice shot, I see an upcoming picture of the month there. Did you set up a time exposure and then turn on the ehgine headlights part way through? I often see those kind of time exposure shots for prototypes but rarely on model railrailroads.
 
Work starts on the "B" side (It hasent got a name yet)

I have been putting off doing anything because of indecision. I wanted a platform/unloading facility for my GUV postal vans but I also have a few containers ????
Also my Dad had given me a HIAB that was really ment for a 1:40 (???) scale container ship that I felt had a place somewhere.

Anyway as is always the case at RJR compromise was the answer. Here are the fledgling results

infront.jpg


A crane n the end of the platform !! The hiab has been remodelled it now has only one joint or two arm sections instead of 3. A new container grab is under construction complete with head rotation. the crane is not motorised but fully poseable whic allows the following group of shots

loading.jpg


I have also built a container road trailer but am struggling to source wheels the right size at the moment ( hence it looks like it has been parked in a dodgy area)

behind-1.jpg


boom.jpg


Lots of detail to add to the crane yet but the general idea is started.

John
RJR
 
Ray, your farm is developing nicely. The farm house looks like it will be a beauty when it's done. Not being a farmer or knowing a darn thing about silos, what is the purpose of the vent at the top of the silo?

Jim, farm silos had to be vented for several reasons.

1. They were filled using a chopper/blower with a long pipe that went up the side of the silo and through the open door/vent in the roof. I will attempt to scratch build one of those old contraptions. They were operated (1925) by a steam or gasoline belt tractor that was hooked up to the chopper/blower via a long belt. One of the "fun" jobs was setting all the stuff up. The tractor had to be perfectly aliened with the blower or the belt would fly off. People have been killed by getting tangled up in the mess that resulted. I was hit by a loose belt as a kid and can tell you it hurts....

2. After they were filled, farm silos often produced a very toxic gas (Silo Gas - aptly named...)that was responsible for many deaths on farms. It was basically Nitrous Oxide(edit - Nitrogen Dioxide actually. Close but no cigar....), I think. My father allowed no one to play in, around, or near a freshly filled silo because of the very real possibility of death by asphyxiation. I remember one time I was near the Grange Silo a few days after it was filled and saw this light orange air coming down the "chute" where it was unloaded. Dad almost paniced! He had a friend die from it when he was a boy on the farm. (edit) Nitrogen Dioxide is heavier than air and displaces all the oxygen hence death by asphyxiation.

3. The inside of covered silos was a bit dark and the only light was from that vent.

I am hoping that the scratch built items and the craftsman kits used for this scene will be judged for points towards the NMRA Model Engineer Structures AP.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Nice work everyone . Ray I seem to remember when I as a kid my father taking me by a farm where the silo dome blew off from to much gas build up !!!!!
 
Fred, I'm not much of a fan of those shovel nose engines but that VIA paint scheme actually makes it look pretty nice. Looks like a challenging paint and decal job.

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the paint job. It was an Athearn special edition. The weathering and pilot details are mine though. I'm not a big fan of GE's in general, but to stay current, I don't have much choice :(
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top