ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I haven't even put all my foam down yet but I am already thinking about the scenery. Do any of you guys have a fall scene with colorful trees instead of just green trees? Of so I'd love to see them for inspiration.
Here's one by a guy whose layout is based on rural New York state [I think he might even be a member of this forum?], the only thing 'photoshopped' is the smoke - everything else is real.
Here's one by a guy whose layout is based on rural New York state [I think he might even be a member of this forum?], the only thing 'photoshopped' is the smoke - everything else is real.
Yup, I'm here alright. I did most of my layout in autumn foliage, set in the mid-Hudson Valley of New York State in mid October of 1941. The trees armatures are Scenic Express SuperTrees, flocked with a combination of their autumn foliage colored ground foams. Below are some additional shots of the layout's rural scenes. Jason, if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask how to go about replicating the trees.
Here's a couple. The color mix kind of sucks on the one with the steamer. I tired to fix it, but the original was just too poor. The second one is better.
That is beautiful. That is what I shall try to accomplish thanks so much. Do you have a write up anywhere on how you made the trees? I'd rather make my own instead of spend hundreds on buying them.
That is beautiful. That is what I shall try to accomplish thanks so much. Do you have a write up anywhere on how you made the trees? I'd rather make my own instead of spend hundreds on buying them.
No, Jason, I don't have my techniques written up anywhere. From experience I've found that relatively few hobbyists today are truly serious about doing a first class job on their scenery. Most seem now to want to expend nearly all their hobby funds on just buying the latest top-end locomotives and cars, then scrimping in every way possible on their scenery. Sadly, the Internet is overflowing with such examples. The reality of the situation is that sort of approach simply doesn't work if your goal is to have a really photogenic and believable layout.
Concerning sources of tree-like weeds or twigs, other than SuperTrees, in my experience commonly found weeds and crafts store flowers generally make rather poor armatures for realistic looking trees. Their branching structure and the way they carry ground foam is such that they look obviously fake. Mass plantings of these, as well as the use of so-called puff-ball trees (ugh!), may look OK from a considerable distance from the viewer, but close-up from where we usually view our layouts I'm afraid that they fail miserably.
So, it honestly comes down to a question of whether the hobbyist wishes to go for first class realism and having a pike that they can be really proud of, or they are really just interested in playing with miniature trains on a pike with scenery that won't convince or impress anyone. If you choose the former, I'm right here to offer hints and advice.