extruded foam boards

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


oplholik

Member
Just aheads up maybe, but since I had given up on finding the extruded foam boards, I thought I'd mention that I found some white foam boards at the Home Depot on Hospitality lane in San Bernardino, Ca., for anyone in this area that is interested. About $38 for a 4x8x2 sheet. Wish I'd found it before putting down the bead board, but think I'll put down a sheet of this stuff over the bead board.

Paul
 
Just aheads up maybe, but since I had given up on finding the extruded foam boards, I thought I'd mention that I found some white foam boards at the Home Depot on Hospitality lane in San Bernardino, Ca., for anyone in this area that is interested. About $38 for a 4x8x2 sheet. Wish I'd found it before putting down the bead board, but think I'll put down a sheet of this stuff over the bead board.

Paul

Actually, upon closer inspection, this is probably different stuff. It's Therma Sheet-3. It's Polyisocyanurate foam. I bought a sheet anyway. I had to cut it up in 2x4 sections in the parking lot to get it in the car. It's definately easier cutting than bead board. So hopefully it will work ok. I guess as long as it is compatible with latex paints and caulk it will be fine. It has alum. foil covering on it, which I assume I will want to remove.

Paul
 
Foam boards from Home Depot

Well, this stuff may be a $30 mistake, or learning experience. Might work quite well, however the alum. foil covering and it's paper backing, I'm finding is a bear to get off. Not sure I'll have the patience to remove it all, but for the moment I'll continue to pick away at it.

Paul
 


Can you use the side w/the paper on top to put your layout on?

Actually the paper is the backing on the foil. When you try to pull the foil off the board, it seperates from the paper in places, then you are left with paper here and there. But yes, whatever paper is left on the board, I don't think will hurt anything. The top of the board I will paint with a ground color anyway.

Paul
 
Paul, unfortunately, Therma-3 is a really bad choice for model railroad use. It's meant for roof decks, hence the reflective foil backing. It's a closed cell polyurethane type product that doesn't cut well and, as you've found, is not easy to deal with. Depending on how rigid the sheeting is, it can be hard to drill through without making a mess (and stinking up the place as well). Many common scenery paints and adhesives interact badly with polyurethane. The good thing is that it's easy to make gullies and drainage ditches with the right paint. :) You really want to make sure that any paint you use is latex or listed as safe for polyurethane. You can end up with your own version of the Grand Canyon if you're not careful. :D
 
Paul, unfortunately, Therma-3 is a really bad choice for model railroad use. It's meant for roof decks, hence the reflective foil backing. It's a closed cell polyurethane type product that doesn't cut well and, as you've found, is not easy to deal with. Depending on how rigid the sheeting is, it can be hard to drill through without making a mess (and stinking up the place as well). Many common scenery paints and adhesives interact badly with polyurethane. The good thing is that it's easy to make gullies and drainage ditches with the right paint. :) You really want to make sure that any paint you use is latex or listed as safe for polyurethane. You can end up with your own version of the Grand Canyon if you're not careful. :D

Thanks for the info. I hate to scrap it, but don't want a headache later either

Paul.
 
So far the best location I've found is the Lowes in Mission Valley, here in San Diego. They carry the blue board. Cheaper too.
 
Grab your local yellow pages or google in your area for a foam distributor/manufacturer. If nothing is there, call a couple of lumber yards (not Lowes or Home Depot) and ask if they know of a place to get extruded styrene insulation.

The stuff I got is Dow Square Edge extruded styrene foam. It is blue in color, and comes in thicknesses from I think 1/2" to 3". I got two inch and one inch thicknesses for roughly $22 a sheet (4'x8'x2"). The other product suitable they had was Dow Score Board extruded styrene foam. It looks just like Square Edge, but is scored already, lengthwise, so it can be more easily cut.

Owens-Corning makes a similar product in pink.
 


Grab your local yellow pages or google in your area for a foam distributor/manufacturer. If nothing is there, call a couple of lumber yards (not Lowes or Home Depot) and ask if they know of a place to get extruded styrene insulation.

The stuff I got is Dow Square Edge extruded styrene foam. It is blue in color, and comes in thicknesses from I think 1/2" to 3". I got two inch and one inch thicknesses for roughly $22 a sheet (4'x8'x2"). The other product suitable they had was Dow Score Board extruded styrene foam. It looks just like Square Edge, but is scored already, lengthwise, so it can be more easily cut.

Owens-Corning makes a similar product in pink.

I tried calling the main lumber yards here and came up with nothing. I didn't think it worth it for me to go to San Diego, about a 200 mile roundtrip. Possibly a lumber yard in the mountains around here with more extreme weather conditions, could be a possibility if I decide to take apart what I've done so far and go with a different set-up.

Paul
 
Paul, have you asked any of the places you've called if they will order it for you? A lot of places that don't carry it in stock will still order it. There's also a list of dealers that carry Dow Styrofoam in California at http://www.layoutvision.com/id44.html. Don't forget to cruise any construction sites in your area also. Styrofoam is becoming a more common wall insulating material, even in California, so it's possible you might be able to pick up some scrap pieces for free from a building site.
 
Alamo Foam Inc
11115 Osgood Street
San Antonio, TX 78233
(210) 646-8288

They were very friendly and helpful.
 
..... so it's possible you might be able to pick up some scrap pieces for free from a building site.


which is exactly how I got mine, several sheets' worth (in smallish pieces anyway). Ask before you take.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top