Extra Super Detailing

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Here are some of my "super detailed cars" although nothing on the models were added as extra's. I prefer the older style Craftsman Kits and resin kits. These type of kits come with every detail to model a specific car or class of cars. First a Westerfield,

KeyHopper.png


Brake and Latch detail from same car,

KeyHopper1.png


A Quality Craft caboose,

ACCab.png


Its underside detail,

ACCab1.png


A Tichy Tank car and you can see the underside detail in silhouette,

UTLX.png


I like to put a minimal amount of detail on all my cars, very little of it does amount to superdetailing. About 1/3 of my cars are like this. However, I do not put on detail that will be easily broken in an op session. Things like uncoupling levers or airhoses.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Here are some of my "super detailed cars" although nothing on the models were added as extra's. I prefer the older style Craftsman Kits and resin kits. These type of kits come with every detail to model a specific car or class of cars. First a Westerfield,

KeyHopper.png


Brake and Latch detail from same car,

KeyHopper1.png


A Quality Craft caboose,

ACCab.png


Its underside detail,

ACCab1.png


A Tichy Tank car and you can see the underside detail in silhouette,

UTLX.png


I like to put a minimal amount of detail on all my cars, very little of it does amount to superdetailing. About 1/3 of my cars are like this. However, I do not put on detail that will be easily broken in an op session. Things like uncoupling levers or airhoses.

Very nice. I always appreciate undercarriage detail.
 


Here's my latest project, A Bachmann Plus F-7 a and b in CN. Typical story, buy the engines cheep then throw at least their original (if not more) price into them in detail parts, paint and decals.
004-1.jpg

The both have Detail Associates F-7 detail kits, Minitures by eric horns, bells, backup lights, winter hatches and other parts added.

I've got a stewart F-3 on the bench now.
 
Very nice. I always appreciate undercarriage detail.

Thank you. I still have a bunch more resin kits to do. I have let a friend of mine build some of my plastic kits, as he works nights at a lime plant in the lab. He uses them to past the time on slow nights. Those are generally Red Caboose, Intermountain, etc.
 
Here's my latest project, A Bachmann Plus F-7 a and b in CN. Typical story, buy the engines cheep then throw at least their original (if not more) price into them in detail parts, paint and decals.
004-1.jpg

The both have Detail Associates F-7 detail kits, Minitures by eric horns, bells, backup lights, winter hatches and other parts added.

I've got a stewart F-3 on the bench now.

Nice. Roof looks great.
 
Thank you. I still have a bunch more resin kits to do. I have let a friend of mine build some of my plastic kits, as he works nights at a lime plant in the lab. He uses them to past the time on slow nights. Those are generally Red Caboose, Intermountain, etc.


Look forward to seeing more.
 
Carey, what are the red painted stripes on your hopper axles for??

Those are old Walthers metal trucks from the 1960's. The red is the insulation to prevent shorts. On my resin cars I prefer metal trucks as it lowers the center of gravity to the point that in most cars, there is no more weight needed to make the car track very well in trains, or alone.

That particular car has been on at least 6 layouts without a derailment.
 


An old one

This started as an Athearn undecorated Athearn SW7. I did this well over 15 years ago. I had taken pictures of the real locomotive years ago between Bozeman and Gallatin Gateway, MT. The stock front grill was cut out and replace along with the exhaust stacks. The stock motor was replaced by a cannon can motor, and constant lighting was also installed. This locomotive still runs great, with excellent low speeds, and rus as good or better than some of the new switchers I have bought recently.
 
This started as an Athearn undecorated Athearn SW7. I did this well over 15 years ago. I had taken pictures of the real locomotive years ago between Bozeman and Gallatin Gateway, MT. The stock front grill was cut out and replace along with the exhaust stacks. The stock motor was replaced by a cannon can motor, and constant lighting was also installed. This locomotive still runs great, with excellent low speeds, and rus as good or better than some of the new switchers I have bought recently.

Looks good. Nice work.

Got a shot of the front grill?

I have an NW2 that is suppose to have brass numbers under the grill. I've bought the brass numbers a few years ago, but don't have the skill to get them on straight and centred.
 
Grill replacement

Here's another picture. The cast in grill was removed and This is what the replacement looks like. If you want, I can take more shots and forward them to you.
 
Here's another picture. The cast in grill was removed and This is what the replacement looks like. If you want, I can take more shots and forward them to you.


What a difference details make. Looks good.

Would love to see more shots.
 
Something I need to un-detail - I have to remove the Sinclair antenna in order to make it appropriate for the 1956 era.
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top