Exactrail taking dealers out of equation

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


According to Pete's BLW(Brooklyn locomotive Works) website Exactrail is cutting dealers out of the sales network and will only be selling from their website direct this is effective 5/2/12. I love their product and all and own quite a bit of it but if they think I'm going to pay full retail for their Chinese made stuff. Well, they can get bent and keep it.
 
By OnTheRightTrack:

No way in hell ANY N scale box car, reefer, or covered hopper is worth $27 bucks.

I've been looking at a lot of N scale locos and rolling stock lately and buying some of it too. I haven't found any rolling stock worth $27 yet and I've seen some nice stuff. I do have my limits and $27 is definitely past one of them!
 


I was lucky when starting to buy N scale in january 3 months ago having found a dealer in used equipment and got 67 pieces of all kinds of freight cars and cabeese for less than three bucks each. Being on a budget still since then I try to not pay more than $7-8 per car. ExactRail stuff looks extra nice but it's too easy for me to get very satisfying new and previously owned Atlas, Microtrains and other rolling stock in the eight dollar range. M.B. Klein often has great deals in their clearance section too.
 
Sort of like PWRS and MT'sThe cars are nice,great good lookingbut I will never pay full retail for model trains or anything eles for that matter,
I get most of my stuff thur buying older collections,can't even remember the last time I bought something new not counting paint and stuff like that

Best of luck to them

L
 
You're in luck - they're only $25! ;)

But seriously, I think this would be a great move for model railroading industry, only if they were selling at dealer prices. Why can't they? They sell to dealers at lower than those prices as it is.
 
You're in luck - they're only $25! ;)

But seriously, I think this would be a great move for model railroading industry, only if they were selling at dealer prices. Why can't they? They sell to dealers at lower than those prices as it is.

I'm all about Capitolism but sometimes good ole' fashioned greed never ceases to amaze me. I would be willing to bet they have 100% or more profit in them even WITH the increased production cost. I'm sorry guys it just pisses me off.
 
If exact.rail is successful at those prices....it means people want it and they're doing something right. This business is soo spread out with many many manufacturers and vendors. Seems like we still have a lot of alternatives at this point. But if most people are like us.....they won't do well or last very long. Many types of businesses do great appealing to the high end.
 


My friend Dave at Yardsale Trains (online) has one of these Kadee boxcars priced at $60. I don't understand why so much....but he seems to know his stuff. He has a bunch of other fairly unusual (I think) boxcars for much less than this. He is a small one man operation in colorado dealing in mostly used and only N scale. Quick shipping. I'd rather save him for myself and did for awhile....but I've spent my budget for now.
 
If he took that car out of the box for a picture then it's not worth $60.00 to a hard core colltor,unless the person who wants it does not mind.Now if it's used then it's all good !

L

P.S. He let the "factory air" out
 
I hear you on the factory air. Pretty sure like most of his inventory that piece is previously owned but likely not very used. He has a bunch of northern and canadian RR rolling stock......mostly in boxcars. I looked up PWRS. That is another one I didn't know about.
 
I too love the covered hoppers but will never buy one. I can not imagine spending $27 for a car and this is one company that has economically abandon the N Scale market.
 
From what I have read, Exactrail is doing two things. One, they are trying to control FUTURE cost increases to keep prices a bit more reasonable for the consumer and Two, they are not undercutting the current production to help dealers clear remaining stock. Despite the different approach, I do not see any greed here.
 
My bet is on the "won't last very long" Many of the cars they make are just those cars that someone would want a fleet of. But, at $30 a pop plus shipping who can buy a fleet of thier covered hoppers. I will stick with my outdated and not quite toprototype cars and not spend the $600 plus it would take to replace them.
 
re: Dave at Yardsale Trains (online)

My friend Dave at Yardsale Trains (online) has one of these Kadee boxcars priced at $60. I don't understand why so much....but he seems to know his stuff. He has a bunch of other fairly unusual (I think) boxcars for much less than this. He is a small one man operation in colorado dealing in mostly used and only N scale. Quick shipping. I'd rather save him for myself and did for awhile....but I've spent my budget for now.
I can't recall his exact name, Dave Haerony???? He's in Colorado somewhere south of Denver as I recall.

Everyone of his n scale diesels is priced above what it was available for when released. If you compare each Kadee car against what's being asked for the same car on eBay.... Well I couldn't find one car on his list that isn't available elsewhere , for less.

Ask him what his eBay ID is.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top