Evaluate my layout -- help me avoid pitfalls

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Old Jedi

New Member
Here is the latest iteration of my proposed layout. I am looking for provisions for a roundy-rounder, but more. A sorting yard for some switching operations and a few industrial spurs for freight delivery.

I will be the only operator. I figured the inside main could double as my A/D and also as a yard lead.

Have I left out something I need? Is there something I don't need?

I considered N scale, but I am 57 and have big fat hands. I think I can do a better job of modeling in HO, although 4 x 8 is pushing it as far as my space allows. I will butt one end against a wall, and walk around 3 sides.

Thanks in advance for your help and guidance! This is a great group.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming those squares are a foot each, you have a 8'x16' layout that you're trying to cram into a 4'x8' foot space. As Jerome said, it looks like you tried to scale up an N scale plan without accounting for losing half the space. Back to the drawing board, I'm afraid.
 


Well, I may have messed up, but I am not sure. I did have the grid at 6" and have now changed it to 12". I am using Anyrail CAD and I believe this is HO scale Kato unitrack.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What radius curves does the plan show? It still looks way more tracks than you can get in a 4'x8' space.
 
That looks to be a HO layout plan the centers are way to wide to be N. Looks possible to work....


BTW: Glenn

Do or Do Not! No try! Hehehehehehehe yoda laughing!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have updated the picture attached above. I am going to model a small town in Nevada, which has farming as well as copper mines in the area. I would still like some input as to details I may have missed with the track--like do I have switches where I need them, and is there something I need. Something I don't? I am usint Kato Unitrack HO scale, and drew the plan with Anyrail. The inside main radius is 19.2" and the outside one is 21.6". Thanks again for your help.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
The overall design is good.

However if it were mine, I'd take out the inner loop and just run the outer. While it seems like your double loop makes the main line longer, in terms of boredom factor you haven't gained anything a train running 3" from where it just ran looks pretty much the same.

Also because you are designing with sectional track, you are making your plan fit the track. Switch to designing with flex and everything will look more realistic and you will have a lot more options.

If you do those two things, you'll have room for that exchange track like macjet suggested. That would give you a link with the outside world and would increase your operational abilities. This will seem more important as you grow into the hobby.

The runaround in the yard, kills the usability of two tracks, and is redundant with the runaround just out side the yard.

But this is a really good start.
 
He can leave out parts of the outer (or inner) loop, and make the remainder into passing sidings. He could then have "meets" and add to his operation, instead of his boredom.
Chris, I remember a small roundy-round you did that was double track, with a very short single track section. It kept you on your toes keeping things moving without emulating Gomez Addams.:cool:
 


He can leave out parts of the outer (or inner) loop, and make the remainder into passing sidings. He could then have "meets" and add to his operation, instead of his boredom.
Chris, I remember a small roundy-round you did that was double track, with a very short single track section. It kept you on your toes keeping things moving without emulating Gomez Addams.:cool:

You mean the rollicoaster!:D that was a fun little layout, indeed it did keep ya on your toes! I'm almost tempted to make another but with easier grades!
 
I think you're off to a good start Glenn. As others have said, resisit the urge to try and fit to much HO track into a 4x8 space. Also, I'd suggest making "main street" a double sided backdrop for more realism.
 
Implemented Suggestions

Okay, thanks to all of you who replied, I have implemented some changes to the original plan. I think its getting close. There is a double sided divider with city/yard on one side, and small town/farm on the other. I have tried to eliminate the double S curves, but couldnt always put much of a straight length in place. See what you think.
 
Glenn,
The layout is looking good. I was thinking that it may be nice to move main street to the right - near the tractor dealer and then you can move the start of the yard to the right as well and make more room for more cars.
Dave
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top