ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
I've been looking around, being new here and all, at layouts, setups, etc... and the only thing that interests me are the engines. Was just wondering how many people just collect the engines. I was thinking about maybe just having a little track setup for if I ever wanted to just see them in action.
I collect, for a minute the run them. I figure if you have motors in them they are made to run!
I suppose that'd be like collecting die-cast cars. Just don't leave your engines in the plastic for fear of them losing value!
I rather doubt that many just collect locomotives unless they are brass collectors/speculators. There's nothing wrong with the idea and having a little track to run them occasionally actually a good idea. Locomotives that just sit for years tend have all the lubrication dry up and then the engine needs some work.
You could make a scene at a railroad museum, with all sorts of motive power. Run some once in a while on an "excusion".
I don't have a layout, my two pairs of modules are boxed together most of the time, so my locos are more or less a collection. Sitting on shelves gathering dust!
sweet, thanks for the idea. could just setup a turntable or two, few roundhouses, etc... not sure how museums are setup, Ill do a search online, just for some ideas
I, um, collect them, for future use, when I get a house to build a layout...
Well, I renewed my interest in model railroading a few years ago. My last layout was torn down in the early sixties. I haven't been able to start construction of a new one yet, but became interested in collecting locomotives which either run in Western Pennsylvania, or did so in the past. This collection now has 28 different road names. Surprisingly, I have been able to find photos of most of the prototypes (same road number) on the internet. I also have 7 others just because they look so nice. I didn't want to just have them sit in storage, so I bought two display cases. At least now I can admire them whenever I want. It's interesting how much of a conversation item they are when someone visits.
Tom
Grandson of an ALCO Builder
Nothing wrong with that...
I had a 24x14 layout when I lived in Little Rock, Ar but sinced moved to Fl and have yet to build a large layout. I have a shelf layout that is 24" deep and 10' long in my home office and then I have 3 shelves above that which hold my WIPs (work in progress) and storage, supplies and displays. These shelves above have the 10" depth (1), 8' depth (1) and 6" depth (last 1). It works well for me for now. The bottom shelf that is 24" x 10' is operational with DCC and at eye level (@ 56"). No scenery. Basic switch yard activity with one run thru. I am still waiting for my building out back to be completed before my real work begins...time and $ for the completion of the building...

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)