Forum:
I built my Milwaukee Northern purposely higher to allow access to the underside and when viewing the railroad at closer to eye level, one feels more as being part of the scene. The lowest height of the railroad is approximately 53 inches and the highest level is 60+ inches by the coal mine spur. I use a Craftsman creeper, a low, wheeled chair for working on the underside of the layout and to move about with ease.
One thing I learned is that I wired the layout from above prior to scenery being installed and now some parts of the wiring are hard to access. On my next layout, all wiring will be done from below to avoid this problem.
I have two access points on the railroad, two is hidden by the 60+ inch bench work for the most part and the other is a 24" x 24" lime stone quarry. The quarry is square in shape which several people questioned as not being protypical, but living near Lannon, Wisconsin (home of many limestone quarries, I can show the doubtful an actual quarry that is essentially square in shape.
I do have several areas that are close to being out of my reach and a piece of equipment like Micro Mart's creeper may be in my near future to finish a couple of scenic areas and perform maintenance. My next layout will have a maximum width of no more than two and half feet.
I'm amazed at layouts like Howard Zane's and George Sellios and how they have concealed the access points that must be part if their layouts.
The scaffold is a great idea, but in my case I do not have enough aisle space for a scaffolding setup.
Thanks
Greg