Dummy Engine Shells

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


ken_23434

Member
I want to custom paint an engine to match one that runs a small line near my house. I have seen a lot of "dummy" engines on Ebay for cheap. I thought about getting a couple to practice my paint scheme and skills on.

Would the shell for an Athearn Dummy fit the powered model also? I would think the shell is the same between the powered and unpowered versions.

Also, are the shells compatible between brands? Such as a shell from an Athearn with the chasis from an Atlas, Proto, or ConCor of the same model?
My gut tells me no, but I have seen some adds for trains that say something to the effect that the motors and such might be from different companies.
 
Ken,

For the most part, Shells for the same manufacturer are the same whether they are dummy or powered. However switching between brands would depend upon which engine you are trying to swtich to. also, since they don't secure the bodies to the frames the same way, it would be a trial and error type of thing.

Bob.
 
All frame attachments are different w/diff manufacturers. You can't put an Athearn shell on a Kato because the Athearn has side attachments that just snaps in & the Kato is screwed together at the bottom.
You can put an Athearn dummy shell on a powered engine as long as it is the same kind of an engine. I've done it twice.

Someone else might have a diff. idea than me.

Larry
 
Thanks for the help guys. I guess the answer was a "no brainer" but I just wanted to make sure. Seeing adds for Loco's that seem combine various manufacturers confused me. I had seen things like Steward XXX with Kato YYY. You guys are my LHS for all answers like this.

Thanks again
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top