Double Radius Turnouts

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


We had the same calendar, then. I bought it specifically for that one photo. What a monster that beast is! If only BLI would get enough orders that they'd stop putting its production back five or six months at a time, as they have done since 2010.
 
Does anyone recall the photos from the time the Union Pacific "Union" Class 4-12-2 #9000 was moved to its current place in California in 1954?...

Crandell,

The correct name was "Union Pacific" type, like the SP's 4-10-2 three cylinder locomotives were known as the "Southern Pacific" type. A "Union" type was the monster 0-10-0 switchers used by the Union Railroad for pulling cars up a very steep grade that went from IIRC a river car ferry, up a steep embankment into the main yards of the Union Railroad. While the grade they pulled cars up was even steeper than Saluda in NC, because it wasn't on a main line, it wasn't counted.
 


We had the same calendar, then. I bought it specifically for that one photo. What a monster that beast is! If only BLI would get enough orders that they'd stop putting its production back five or six months at a time, as they have done since 2010.

What! you didn't get one of the MTH ones Crandell?
 
Uuhhhh....................................................................................................................................................................... No.

I can live with blind drivers and lateral clearance mechanics in the drivetrain of the BLI version, but I just can't accept the toy-like/goofy/disappointing articulated front frame and cylinders. Yeah, I know, we all suspend belief in this hobby to an extent, but I simply can't get myself past that one. I'll do without, perhaps forever. I wouldn't be able to run a nice brass one unless my curves were in the 50" range or thereabouts...I think. Can't afford brass anyway.
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top