ModelRailroadForums.com is a free
Model Railroad Discussion Forum and
photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.
Well I have been working on a friends SRY Atlas MP15DC that needed ditch lights. After looking at pictures of the real unit I saw that it had odd lollipop type ditch lights on the cab end and normal housings on the nose end so this is the result.
The hood end ditch lights looks good and bright, what kind of lights are those?
They are just white LEDs that I got on EBay a long time ago and have been using. I paint them with a little Tamiya Clear orange to get a golden color.
Are the hood end ditch light housings Details West, or Cannon.
The look Maaaahhvelous!!!!!!!!
They are Detail Associate castings that have been drilled out for the LED and assembled. I used the same ones for an ATSF SD40-2 assembling and mounting them on the deck.
Looks real nice! I'm still amazed at how small LED's are getting. How did you solder the leads without destrying the LED?
John
Looks real nice! I'm still amazed at how small LED's are getting. How did you solder the leads without destrying the LED?
John
Very carefully but I also have an assortment of soldering irons for different tasks.
I like the 5th soldering iron, thin & small, what brand is it?
I like the 5th soldering iron, thin & small, what brand is it?
Its an Ungar brand handle for a soldering station. I am not sure if its available anymore but that is my workhorse for 90% of my projects.
Not to highjack this thread but, is Kato the only brand that produces working ditch lights on their units?
Atlas has on some of their units.
Wow, that's some impressive work on those tall ditch lights. I might have to ask you for a few.
I think Athearn Genesis, Kato, Atlas, BLI, & T55/OMI are about the only ones with pre-lit ditch lights, which makes for about every company who makes units new enough to have ditch lights...
do you do custom installs?
do you do custom installs?
Yes I do Lighting, DCC, Sound, and Details. Contact me at
[email protected] and let me know what your interested in getting done.
Very nice work as usual, Mark.
Yes I do Lighting, DCC, Sound, and Details. Contact me at
[email protected] and let me know what your interested in getting done.
will do. thanks.
Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website
(Learn More Here)