dogbone or around wall style

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


Bigb- why did you change you change your mind or layout direction i should say.

Did you just not like the dogbone style? And like the continuous mainline run you can get from doughnut style?

It was several factors, but they all come from one main reason: my wife told me I could make our larger spare BR my train room if I agreed to move my old layout out of its current, smaller BR. Duh, no brainer....traded the 6x11 layout for a 12x13 layout.

I like the dogbone style, but i did find several limitations mainly due to the constraints of my old layout room. Biggest curves I had were 24", with 20-22 on the inside. I had to run the trains somewhat slower than I'd like to due to those curves. The new layout allows me much broader curves, more mainline running, and walkaround room. With the dogbone in the configuration I had it in, I couldn't walk around. I'm a tall guy and have a long reach, but that reaching got old. It was loosely modeled after Atlas' Up& Over Dogbone from one of their track books.

Brad
 
Alright....give this a gander. Each square is 6"x6"

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15638&stc=1&d=1329529173

http://www.modeltrainforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=15637&d=1329529172

This is what im working on now, with help from a friend

Yard with 2 stall engine house (room for more)
A/D track
3 sorting tracks
A couple of passing sidings arranged so that long trains can pass each other on the run Room for the paper mill at the first siding.
logging area near the end of the mainline run which goes upgrade from the mainline as the mainline descends.
I maintained a minimum radius of 24"
Dotted lines are where the track goes into a tunnel and descends into staging.

Each end descends from the main level, goes around a single 360 degree loop (add an extra 360 loop if you want more vertical separation of staging/main level) then out into the staging body tracks.

4 staging tracks and 1 run-around track.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
modeltrainforum.jpg


...
 


Ok Joe, you and I were both at a crossroads, you went the folded dogbone route, me the around the walls with liftout. I'll look forward to staying in touch as we both start construction, let's compare notes from time to time. At least you don't have a duckunder/liftout to contend with, good for you!
 
i wasnt worried about the duckunder, mine would have been at 50 inches, it wouldnt have been bad ducking under a narrow 6 inch wide section.

I was set up to go doughnut style, but i wouldnt have been able to fit everything i wanted with out going bigger, and 10x10 in ho isnt much to work with, i wanted a good mainline run, so then i extended one section against wall to 18 feet total.

Then i realized i could make 2 360 loops at both ends either going up or down a level, and gaining even more room for staging and what not. this way it gives me room to expand and options.

The only bad thing is i will need a bunch more track, and that envolves more money, ughh...
 
photobucket-1689-1329612164636.jpg


photobucket-2922-1329612151975.png

the new section i added, which makes the section against the wall 18 feet long and the end blob is 5x5 for a 360 loop, still need to add corner peice coming off the loop

photobucket-2924-1329612188350.jpg


photobucket-2868-1329612204815.jpg


I changed directions. im going folded dogbone obviously

Okay - changed your links into images.

Only change I would have made (perhaps - you still have not clearly answered the question about how things looks to the right of the big peninsula - in front of the electrical panel), would have been to angle the peninsulas outwards for better access, wider operator pit and longer peninsulas.

Maybe something roughly along these lines:

joed02.jpg


There is nothing that says that benchwork for a model railroad needs to consist of rectangular tables :-)

Smile,
Stein
 
Last edited by a moderator:
my staircase comes down in the middle of basement. if your looking at the breaker panel your walking down the stairs. but the way you have that designed i probably could have squezzed it in my space, but i like having both sides of staircase open around west side/east side open and room to walk/ let the kids play ride there bikes in basement

yes i agree the angle dogbone you made gives more room for operators.
 
my staircase comes down in the middle of basement. if your looking at the breaker panel your walking down the stairs. but the way you have that designed i probably could have squezzed it in my space, but i like having both sides of staircase open around west side/east side open and room to walk/ let the kids play ride there bikes in basement

yes i agree the angle dogbone you made gives more room for operators.

This is why I kept on recommending that you drew the entire room, showing doors, windows, stairs, stuff you need access to and so on and so forth - it tends to brings forth the unstated requirements :-)

Anyways - I wish you the best of luck with your layout.

Smile,
Stein
 
thanks stein and the rest of you guys that have been helpful, it took me along time to figure out what path i wanted to take,

i admit i was starting to get crazy, ive been trying to find a benchwork plan i like to hold what i want my track to do, its been along time, just goes to show you that you cant really throw something together and expect to be happy with the end results.

I believe i have options going this route. i live i can make the 360 loops go up or down in elevation, i could go under table for staging or i can go up, i can even hide it behind a backdrop or similar. I could even make it go back thru the scenes twice if i wanted to.

Again thank you everyone who have helped and guided me to what i think is the right path ;)
 


Hey Joe. Found ur layout thread. Looking good. Wish I had done what u did and asked questions first, build later. Would have saved a lot of time and money! Haha! I like both papermill layouts but if I had 2 choose I would go with the first one
 
ok i have a few different pictures to share. its been awhile since ive been posting ...first my layout drafts

here is a few different designs i was debating on:
first is the main level
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-2844-1330903367896.jpg
this is the staging level
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-2893-1330903377405.jpg

then i spun into this design
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-2937-1330903395228.jpg

now this is what ive come up with that im currently working on
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-3570-1330903350393.jpg
this is the main level, its 18 long at the west section, it will have a 3-4 loop helix going up to top level

this is the top level
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-2383-1330903358659.jpg

this is what im working on
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-3483-1330890442253.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-3231-1330890428116.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-3117-1330890541935.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-1931-1330890465133.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-3117-1330890541935.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-2172-1330890477045.jpg
http://i1070.photobucket.com/albums/u486/joed2323/photobucket-3412-1330890490574.jpg

any questions just ask
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top