Do you prime the track before you paint it?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


A little trick I learned a long time ago... (don't recall where I learned it)

Before painting rails, put a drop of oil on your fingertip, then lightly run your fingertip along the top of the rail. After painting, use a cleaning block (like a Bright Boy) on the rails. The paint on the top will easily come off.

Hope y'all might this of some use!

Regards,
Tom Stockton
 
A little trick I learned a long time ago... (don't recall where I learned it)

Before painting rails, put a drop of oil on your fingertip, then lightly run your fingertip along the top of the rail. After painting, use a cleaning block (like a Bright Boy) on the rails. The paint on the top will easily come off.

Hope y'all might this of some use!

Regards,
Tom Stockton

Did you have to be very careful not to get the oil on the edges of the rail?
Any pics to share?

Cheers
 
I find if you just do small sections at a time say 2 feet at a crack, once you spray the rails/ties just take a rag and wrap one finger in the rag just run finger down the top of rails, the paint wipes right off with ease. Instead of trying to get dried paint off the rails.

Take a bright boy to the rails when all of your track is finished
For me it is alot easier just painting section by section then cleaning paint off.
If you paint too much at once the paint dries to quick and makes it harder to remove from top of rails.

I think toms idea is a good idea though. I think rubbing alittle vaseline on top of rails would work also.
 
Last edited by a moderator:


Here is the rail in front of the depot. I didn't add any rust to it, just the camo paint.

Mantuarepair028.png


Here is the real thing taken on a cold, March day.

MankatoDepotandTrestle3-29-08066.png
 




Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top