Do you prime the track before you paint it?

ModelRailroadForums.com is a free Model Railroad Discussion Forum and photo gallery. We cover all scales and sizes of model railroads. Online since 2002, it's one of the oldest and largest model railroad forums on the web. Whether you're a master model railroader or just getting started, you'll find something of interest here.


mager

New Member
Hello everyone, do you have to prime the track/ rails before you paint it? The last thing I would have to have happen is paint chipping off of the track/ rails after the ballast and other senery is completed.
 
I have never done so. It should not be coated with anything. Assuming you haven 't stored it in conditions where it will get unwanted materials on it, or handled it extensively with oily/grimy hands, or left glues on it for some reason, it should take a good quality acrylic or oil-based paint. I have used both, and didn't feel as if priming would have been smarter first.

However, it would take 30 seconds to dip a Q-Tip a couple of times in some lacquer thinner, acetone, or just isopropyl alcohol, and swipe the web of the rails you are about to paint just to be sure.
 


I never have. All I do is wipe them down with alcohol and a clean cloth to remove any film that might be on it. I paint with either a Floquil weathering paint marker or an airbrush using solvent base paint. Clean the tops of the rails and inside edges of the railheads as soon as you apply the paint. Over 30 years on both Atlas and Peco track and no chipping or flaking.
 
Sorry to ask this question on this thread...but on a similar topic: Has anyone seen micro engineering weathered flex track in person? Or used micro engineering track weathering solution? Is painting a better looking way to go? Thanks and good to hear info on track weathering.



Mike
 
Sorry to ask this question on this thread...but on a similar topic: Has anyone seen micro engineering weathered flex track in person? Or used micro engineering track weathering solution? Is painting a better looking way to go? Thanks and good to hear info on track weathering.



Mike

ME track can be ordered both weathered and not weathered. I have been using their weathered track. Before my Kadee spike gun died for the last time, I bought code 70 rail in bulk for handlaying. I used to use a chemical bath that would weather the rail, but due to old timers disease, I can't remember the name of it. It was a blue liquid that I would pour into a container that I could submerge the 36 inch length rails in. Work great if someone could come up with the name of the chemical. A check in the Walthers catalog could possibly help. I believe that's where I bought it. (anyone in the market for any bulk code 70 rail already weathered ???)
 
I didn't clean my Atlas code 80 at all (in fact it had some acrylic paint specks on it from the scenery), and I've had zero problems with it. I used rustoleum brown primer in a spray can. Can't hurt to clean it I guess but it's not like the ties get a lot of wear, or any blemishes will be a problem. The one thing that gave me trouble was a couple of cat hairs that I hadn't seen before painting, but I was able to tweeze them out before the paint dried.

Montanan, this stuff? http://www.micromark.com/blacken-it-4-fl-oz,7267.html
 
I didn't clean my Atlas code 80 at all (in fact it had some acrylic paint specks on it from the scenery), and I've had zero problems with it. I used rustoleum brown primer in a spray can. Can't hurt to clean it I guess but it's not like the ties get a lot of wear, or any blemishes will be a problem. The one thing that gave me trouble was a couple of cat hairs that I hadn't seen before painting, but I was able to tweeze them out before the paint dried.

Montanan, this stuff? http://www.micromark.com/blacken-it-4-fl-oz,7267.html


That's the stuff. Works great. It does weather the top of the rails, looking like ME, but a quick shot with a bright boy and there's no problem. I guess I did this weathering about 15 or so years ago. Thanks !
 
This is all great info including the rustoleum brown primer. The blacken-it solution is $9.95 for 4 fluid ounces. Doesn't sound like that amount would treat much track. I'm thinking it must be some kind of acid. The brown primer is sounding more likely for me.



Mike
 
After going back and reading the article on using blacken-it......I like the look of the results in the photo.
 


Blacken It is also handy for use on metal wheelsets. Not sure if it is an acid or not but just to be on the safe side I wouldn't drink it.
 
What i did or what i used i should say is red oxide primer to paint my rails.
My opinion is that it looks alot like the rust color you see in real life on train tracks.

You can get what i used through barnes, its a barnes product.
It works great, it covers nice.

Just find a color you like and use that. Personal preference.
 
Hello everyone, do you have to prime the track/ rails before you paint it? The last thing I would have to have happen is paint chipping off of the track/ rails after the ballast and other senery is completed.

Here are some shots of ME track that was lightly primed both rail and ties. I painted the ties with various tones of brown, black, and grey. The rails were painted with floquil markers then dusted with some chalk and sealed with dullcote.

I only primed the rail because I didn't want to mask it off while spraying the ties.

If you're going to prime, use a very light coat so not to hide details such as tie plates, fishplates, and the grain in ties.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I used brown, camo spray paint from rustoleum. It has a very flat finish and adheres well to metal. I just wiped the tops off after spaying and was good to go. In areas like spurs and such I used a floquil rust pen to add a more weathered look. To my eye, it matches the track I see around here quite well.
 
I used brown, camo spray paint from rustoleum. It has a very flat finish and adheres well to metal. I just wiped the tops off after spaying and was good to go. In areas like spurs and such I used a floquil rust pen to add a more weathered look. To my eye, it matches the track I see around here quite well.

Would you have any pics to share of your painted rail?
 






Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back
Top